Outdoor temporary Installation on multiple occasions at same location
    OffLeash

Outdoor temporary Installation on multiple occasions at same location

by OffLeash » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:46 pm

Hello

I am super interested in MadMapper software. I have been doing live animated projection for dance productions and events for several years now using Tagtool with iPads and projectors (https://youtu.be/HaqNqUFaaV0).

I have been interested in "proper" projection mapping for some time, and waiting for the right job/project that would pay me enough to afford purchasing the hardware and software to do it. That time has come, and I have some specific questions about using MadMapper and MiniMad on that project.

My project is to do an outdoor projection installation on a building in my city, but not live - I would install and uninstall mobile projector units at this location several times during a month’s long period. So, like a temporary gallery installation, but outdoors. (The projectors cannot be installed permanently because a) weather conditions, and b) security.)

I was planning on defining very specific locations for the 3 mobile projector units, and being able to fix them in those exact locations each time the installation is set up.

To do this, would it be possible to create a mapping design for 3 surfaces/projectors through MadMapper, and export each of those surface designs as video files to 3 MiniMads, and sync the MiniMads each time I set out the mobile projection units?

Also, to create the mapping, would it be possible to capture the projection surface from the point of view of each projector, and to do the mapping off site, hoping the projections align to the surfaces when installed? I saw something about using a Cannon camera - Would my Panasonic LUMIX G4 work with that feature, or only Cannon?

Once I know it is possible to execute this project with mapping, I will surely purchase a full MadMapper license, MiniMads, and laptop etc to create and execute it.

If anyone has similar experience, please let me know, and thank you!

Paul Herwig
    Future Projections
    www.futureprojections.net
    Minneapolis, USA
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Outdoor temporary Installation on multiple occasions at same location

by mad-matt » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:58 pm

To do this, would it be possible to create a mapping design for 3 surfaces/projectors through MadMapper, and export each of those surface designs as video files to 3 MiniMads, and sync the MiniMads each time I set out the mobile projection units?
    Yes, that's what MiniMad is made for. From the MiniMad you can adjust the Quad perspective but not the mesh warping / masking / feathering. Those have to be adjusted from MadMapper and re-exported to MiniMad. But generally until your projector is almost at the same place, perspective adjustment from MiniMad is enough.
    Also, to create the mapping, would it be possible to capture the projection surface from the point of view of each projector, and to do the mapping off site, hoping the projections align to the surfaces when installed? I saw something about using a Cannon camera - Would my Panasonic LUMIX G4 work with that feature, or only Cannon?
    We have native support of Canon picture camera for high definition / quality images. But any camera would work as long as its definition / quality is good enough and if it's supported by QuickTime on macOS / DirectX/DirectShow on Windows. You can test your camera with MadMapper demo version.
    OffLeash

by OffLeash » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:07 pm

Thank you so much!
    I really just wanted to confirm before I make all the purchases :D
    OffLeash

by OffLeash » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:25 am

Hello Matt

Thank you very much for your replies!
    I am watching all the tutorials and getting going with MadMapper.

I have an installation coming up, outdoors, a show which I will set up and run 8 times in a one month period.
    the cable runs are long, around 100', so I was looking into using Cat6 cables and signal extenders.
    How are the MiniMads with Cat6 and extending devices (I have included some links below)?

Thank you again!
    Paul

Cat6: https://www.amazon.com/UbiGear-Waterpro ... =true&th=1

HDMI Extender: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gLh3vD_BwE