Is it possible to have MadMapper read from a folder of video files on launch?
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

Is it possible to have MadMapper read from a folder of video files on launch?

by CaseyJScalf » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:31 pm

Along the quest for the most dialed and automated installation is this task of automatically playing video files from a folder in a loop.

Some installations play 1 video forever. Sweet.

Most of mine need the ability to play special content on weekends vs weekdays. Or holidays. And to also be able to remotely update this content.

I am struggling to find an ideal solution.

1 option is to make a playback app in Processing that does this. Easy. Kind of unreliable. Have fun with 4k60 files. Or Quartz Composer. Who remembers???

Another option is Resolume Avenue + Wire. Looks like you can *possibly* make some sort of patch that reads files from a folder. I think it's possible but haven't realized it yet. Overall super overkill though at $300+ a license.

But, what if MadMapper could do it?

It seems like the capabilities are growing all the time and with the "extensions" section and the "generators" is there maybe some way to have MadMapper look at a folder called "Weekday" and play all the video in order there? Then I could make another, or somehow use the Calendar bit, to have another file open the "Weekend" folder on weekend days, etc.

Is there anyway to glue all of this together? I can code, though might needs docs, otherwise this feature (read from folder) could be a killer extension!

As always, thanks for the great software!
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

Re: Is it possible to have MadMapper read from a folder of video files on launch?

by CaseyJScalf » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:18 am

Looks like Resolume is not really able to do this and after searching I am not sure MadMapper would be able to either.

I know it can be hard to accomodate every edge use case but if there is an extension for reading weather data why not one for reading files from a folder?

Anyways, I am going to go ahead and code this in Processing or something similar.

If anyone would like to license/purchase this software send me an email over at www.Lumenarius.com and we can see what is possible.

Thanks!
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Is it possible to have MadMapper read from a folder of video files on launch?

by franz » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:04 pm

There's a movie folder player, in the Generators section.
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

by CaseyJScalf » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 pm

Hey Fanz, this would be so cool and likely a solution I just can't access it... Can you help me see if this is a bug or I just maybe don't know the magic spell?

To be sure I checked for the "Movie Folder Player" in both Extensions, Generators, and Materials but nothing. I did find "Image Folder" at the very bottom - related?

I tried to click the "+" symbol next to the "Generators" tab but it would not open. I am on MM 5.2.3 and same result on Mac and PC. The "+" symbol did work to access more options in the "Materials" tab. Maybe the button isn't linked properly?

I also looked in "Library" but only found more Materials.

What am I missing on how to access this feature?

Thank you!!!
    Attachments
    Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 1.28.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 1.28.26 PM.png (27.95 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
    Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 1.24.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 1.24.50 PM.png (17.71 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
    Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 1.22.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 1.22.41 PM.png (67.42 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 am

The Movie Folder Player is in the Generators.
    I tried to click the "+" symbol next to the "Generators" tab but it would not open
    That's strange. Can you try from the thumbnails vie of the medias ?

If it doesn't help, can you send your log file ? It's located in
    Windows:
    C:\Users\your_login\AppData\Roaming\Garagecube\MadMapper\Logs\
    You can paste this in file explorer address bar: %AppData%\Roaming\Garagecube\MadMapper\Logs\
    MacOS:
    /Users/YOUR_LOGIN/Library/Logs/GarageCube/MadMapper/
    To access this hidden folder easiely you can: open Finder, choose menu Go / Go to Folder… and paste
    ~/Library/Logs/GarageCube/MadMapper/
  • Firefly_199x

by Firefly_199x » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:43 am

Indeed. You can create a long playlist within MadMapper that includes all your desired videos,fnf organized by day or using tags. You can then use the scheduler to automatically switch playlists on weekends or holidays.