FX cues getting overwritten
  • play.vj

FX cues getting overwritten

by play.vj » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:14 pm

If I create a quad and place some media on it, and place that same setup in a few cues. Than go to the first cue and enable the color controls FX, do some color changes and update the values of the fist cue. Than go to the second cue and enable color controls, and do a different color change, update the values of the second cue. Somehow the values in the fist cue also get changed to the values of the second cue.

If The cues are created with the Color Control FX included, I can cue multiple settings values of the FX. The above only happens when the cue is created without the FX and is added later on and the values get updated.

If I use scenes instead of cues this does not happen.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: FX cues getting overwritten

by mad-matt » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:04 am

Indeed, "update the values of the second cue" will just update the values that are stored in the cue. If a cue doesn't contain parameters from "Color Controls" fx, it won't add it, it just updates existing parameters (open the "inspector" part to see what your cue contains, it makes things clearer)
    If you want to update FX & FX parameters in a cue, select the cue, enter Edit Mode (Cmd+Shift+C / Ctrl+Shit+C) and press FX / FX Name and FX parameters.
  • play.vj

by play.vj » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:56 am

Thanks' Matt,

Update values only updates the values that were stored when the cue was created. But the values of the FX get stored, into an old cue, that was created without he FX active. All OK, but the problem starts when this is done in multiple cues. All the cues that have been created without the FX active, update the values from the last update values. As if all the cues have "shared" FX values.

I hope I understand: if a cue was created without the FX active, upon updating the values, the FX state should not be added at all. now it gets added and the values are shared with all the cues created without the FX active.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Its just that I'm learning the software and trying to get my head around the reasons why something exists as a feature.

I suspect that I am going about storing changes in the wrong order. My first go to store "type" is cue "add all objects", while perhaps I should go for "add scene" and use cues only when necessary.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:40 pm

Ok I understand now. I agree, in most case you won't change FX in live on a surface (except using a cue), so you don't want to store in the cue the inactive FX settings.