MadMapper 5.3 BETA release
  • Benoit
    ultim8 member

MadMapper 5.3 BETA release

by Benoit » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:01 pm

Dear mappers,

Wanna try your SONY camera with MadMapper? Blackmagic cards video outputs and inputs? The new expert mode? The fixed scan speed or SVG folder player for MadLaser?

You can now with the BETA version of MadMapper 5.3, focused on hardware compatibility.

Download it directly from your user account on the MadMapper website, any feedback is welcome and most importantly, enjoy!

MADMAPPER 5.3 BETA RELEASE NOTES

ADDITIONS
    + Added support for Blackmagic video-output devices
    + Added support for Sony cameras (Spatial Scanner & Live Inputs)
    + Added Windows Media Foundation for live video inputs (DirectShow is still available with a preference)
    + Added Frame Delay on video outputs (to improve projectors / laser projectors sync)
    + MadLaser:
    + Added Fixed Scan speed option on laser surfaces
    + When using a laser output loopaback on a Laser Quad (ie for dispatching), let user choose if he wants to preserve source render settings or to override
    + Added Freeze Laser Outputs
    + Added SVG Folder Player (svg sequence) with color handling
    + Added a "Check for devices" item in the Edit menu, to force newly connected/disconnected devices detection
    + Added a "Automatically check for video-inputs" preference
    + Added Expert Mode in Preferences / General / User Interface to enable a few more options

IMPROVEMENTS
    * Updated to latest NDI SDK (solves some issues on Windows in rare cases)
    * Updated ShowNET library (solves crash when changing network adapters setup)
    * Improved movie looping with heavy compression (preload from loop start when close to end)
    * Added Copy/Paste settings on Modules (right click popup)
    * Controls: added an option to handle feedback per control
    * MadLaser:
    * Improved Laser Beam Preview
    * Improved handling closed shapes when vectorized or from Surface 3D

FIXES
    - MadLaser:
    - Fixed possible issue restoring laser mask opacity
    - Fixed smoothness with multiple Helios DACs
    - In some conditions, an output could be moved while being locked
    - Various fixes

(a MadMapper 5 license is required to use this Beta version)

We hope you'll love it,

Enjoy!

The MAD Team.
  • scratchpole

Re: MadMapper 5.3 BETA release

by scratchpole » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:40 pm

Nice one!
    Which Sony cameras are supported and over what connections?
    I am trying my A7s with USB cable and it's not showing up, is there anything specific I need to do?

Also, I assume this is supported on M2 macs not just M1's as per the download page info.

Just noticed the orange dot on the output, macOS Ventura, I've now denied mic and camera inputs permissions in privacy settings but can you change that at your end so that's not necessary please.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:45 pm

Which Sony cameras are supported and over what connections?
    It's working with Wifi, through Camera Remote API, network only so on all platform.
    Supported devices are here: https://developer.sony.com/develop/came ... ed-devices
    It's supported by Sony Alpha 7 of course.

We're preparing document. You have to start the “Smart Remote Control” application in Sony “Application List”. It will show the wifi access info (the Sony camera creates its own Wifi network). Then you have to connect your computer to this network. Then it will magically appear in MadMapper, as a camera in Live Inputs, and available for Space Scanner & LED Scanner.
    Just noticed the orange dot on the output, macOS Ventura, I've now denied mic and camera inputs permissions in privacy settings but can you change that at your end so that's not necessary please.
    That's a big subject. Apple doesn't let anyone the option to remove it. While there were easy solutions before macOS 12.3, the actual one is more complex.
    Here is an article: https://community.troikatronix.com/topi ... WhUyu4Y1_k
    The only solution I know working today is "Recording Indicator Utility": https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Re ... H4yrafbpXA
  • scratchpole

by scratchpole » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Matt, I got the camera working easy enough with your instructions. It's a poor frame rate though, 15-18 fps and it's a pretty crunchy image too. Where should the images be saved to? That does not seem to be working.

Have you heard about https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/webcam/en/ it allows for a usb tethered solution, only 1024x576 but full frame rate at least.

Another note my Camlink 4k USB input does not show up as a source, should that be working?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:41 am

I got the camera working easy enough with your instructions
    Good
    It's a poor frame rate though, 15-18 fps and it's a pretty crunchy image too
    The idea is to use the Space Scanner, not to have a live input. So frame rate is not an issue in this case.
    Where should the images be saved to?
    In your workspace / Camera Pictures folder. (default is "~/Documents/MadMapper/Camera Pictures")
    You can make an Image Folder player to show the last taken picture (enabling the "auto scan" and setting loop to last frame. Can be useful for some projects.
    Have you heard about https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/webcam/en/ it allows for a usb tethered solution, only 1024x576 but full frame rate at least.
    No, does it appear in MadMapper then ? (== does it support DirectShow ?)
    Another note my Camlink 4k USB input does not show up as a source, should that be working?
    We switch capture API from DirectShow to Media Foundation to solve some issues. If your camera is not supported by Media Foundation you can switch back using MadMapper Preferences / General / Video Input Method
  • scratchpole

by scratchpole » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi Matt,
    Just testing on my Windows machine.
    Sony A7s is working as expected over wifi, same FPS as on Mac.
    I understand it's usefullness for space scanner, but kinda redundant as a live input, maybe not give it as a live input option?

The camera goes offline when I press Take a Picture, it flickers on and off until I restart MM.
    The picture folder has not been created by the installer, should it be? I created it and still the same issue.

Elgato camlink 4k is working.
    Sony webcam plugin input is working using WMF input method.

Obviously no option to change input method to WMF on Mac and neither is showing up. (Edit: Gave permission for camera access on Mac and Sony Webcam input shows up but does not work, it's been a while since I used this plugin maybe it's not working correctly on Ventura, it's not working in Resolume either).
  • notedguiltless

by notedguiltless » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:39 am

Hi Matt,
    Just testing on my Windows machine.
    Sony A7s is working as expected over wifi, same FPS as on Mac.
    I understand it's usefullness for space scanner, but kinda redundant as a live input skibidi toilet maybe not give it as a live input option?

The camera goes offline when I press Take a Picture, it flickers on and off until I restart MM.
    The picture folder has not been created by the installer, should it be? I created it and still the same issue.

Elgato camlink 4k is working.
    Sony webcam plugin input is working using WMF input method.

Obviously no option to change input method to WMF on Mac and neither is showing up. (Edit: Gave permission for camera access on Mac and Sony Webcam input shows up but does not work, it's been a while since I used this plugin maybe it's not working correctly on Ventura, it's not working in Resolume either).
    My android devices are also not performing as expected. Is this a common error?
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:58 pm

Did they lock handles in full screen mode?

Previous versions I used to select a handle and do cmd+u and move it.

Just installed 5 on a windows pc and this doesn't work anymore?! is this a feature or a bug? because it was really something I used a lot with quick fixes or when all my outputs were in use for the mapping.