DMX control priority?
  • salopeknet

DMX control priority?

by salopeknet » Mon May 08, 2023 6:18 pm

Hello guys!

Thank you very much for this great piece of software!

I/we use MadMapper 5.2.3 (update pending) in an multifunctional event location, for static projection and for live visouals during live concerts or DJs. We control MadMapper after startup (on a MacStudio) completely with a grandMA3-System via Artnet.

We have severals cues, which are selected/launched via DMX over Artnet, furthermore I configured DMX-controls for opacity on several surfaces, and for now the Video-Color-Master is also controlled via DMX as three channels RGB input.

I was playing around to achieve separate control of RGB for several quads. I can define DMX-controls for each channel, and it works fine, although not as expected: When a cue is running, and I change the RGB-values via DMX, it is working correctly. But as soon as I fire another cue (within the same surface), the color jumps to the value stored in the cue, ignoring the DMX-RGB-value on the ArNet-input.

I have also observed, that to get MadMapper to takeover the (static) RGB-values from DMX/Artnet, I had to change every single DMX-channel (RGB) via grandMA3 separately for at least one digit up/down and back...

I also tried to remove all stored RGB-values in some cues, but also with no sucess. I just don't know any more, if then the color gets then set to 255,255,255 or 0,0,0 when I fire that cues. Again I could trigger the right color for the stored quad by changing the DMX-Input slightly.

Is there a way to define a kind of priority of the DMX-controls to be always over the stored values?

Also, MadMapper seems to capture DMX-input-values only when they get changed, not continuosly (as I would expect or as I am used from any other DMX-device).
    Is there an option to change that behaviour?

For now I configured a workaround with some quads/surfaces on which I store the materials and they get played out on several "virtual" projectors with internal video loopback. And there are some other quads/surfaces (where I defined DMX-controls for RGB), which take that internal loopbacks, change the color and push it to the physical projectors/video outputs. But I am not very happy with this solution...

I hope you can see my problem?

What do you think about adding an checkbox for every possible DMX-control, so the stored values get always overridden by the actual (not only when changed) DMX-values when checked?

Yours sincerily,
    Micha
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: DMX control priority?

by mad-matt » Mon May 08, 2023 11:23 pm

I was playing around to achieve separate control of RGB for several quads. I can define DMX-controls for each channel, and it works fine, although not as expected: When a cue is running, and I change the RGB-values via DMX, it is working correctly. But as soon as I fire another cue (within the same surface), the color jumps to the value stored in the cue, ignoring the DMX-RGB-value on the ArNet-input.
    Indeed, MadMapper cues will send all parameter values stored in the cue to their target. Just remove the values you want to live control from the cues (in Edit Cues mode or with Cue Inspector).
    I have also observed, that to get MadMapper to takeover the (static) RGB-values from DMX/Artnet, I had to change every single DMX-channel (RGB) via grandMA3 separately for at least one digit up/down and back...
    We might work on a media server mode at some point but at the moment that's how it is. Just don't cue settings to control. Btw, do you really need cues ? I generally have one surface per "element" I want to use in my show, with its own media instance (mostly generative materials), for instance I have a quad "MAIN STROB", with its assigned visual called "MAIN STROB" (only use by this layer) and a control on quad opacity. A surface with opacity == 0 is not using any resource. So you can have 100 layers without affecting performances until only one is running.
    MadMapper will trigger DMX controls when loading a project, so until you don't change values manually or with cues, it should be all good.
    I also tried to remove all stored RGB-values in some cues, but also with no sucess. I just don't know any more, if then the color gets then set to 255,255,255 or 0,0,0 when I fire that cues. Again I could trigger the right color for the stored quad by changing the DMX-Input slightly.
    Are you using Scenes or Cues ? You can't remove parameters from scenes, so you should use cues.
    Also, MadMapper seems to capture DMX-input-values only when they get changed, not continuosly (as I would expect or as I am used from any other DMX-device).
    Is there an option to change that behaviour?
    No there's no option to change it.