3D Object, with Multiple Projectors
  • mookleedwards

3D Object, with Multiple Projectors

by mookleedwards » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Guys

I am doing a project where I will be using 3 projectors to map a 3D object. I have the 3D file but I can't figure out how to calibrate it with the 3 projectors.
    I only seem to be able to place the calibration points on 1 of the projectors...
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

Re: 3D Object, with Multiple Projectors

by Teunkneus » Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 am

Hi Guys

I am doing a project where I will be using 3 projectors to map a 3D object. I have the 3D file but I can't figure out how to calibrate it with the 3 projectors.
    I only seem to be able to place the calibration points on 1 of the projectors...
    I've sone this and as I recall it was quite easy.
    I believe (from memory) that you have to do this per projector, so put the .obj in every projector square and use the points to do the mapping.
    That's because every projector has a different angle so9 it's actually quite logic.
  • Kennergy

by Kennergy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:26 pm

This makes sense if you are going to map a cube with different surfaces... but what if you need to edge blend the 2/3 projectors?
    Is it possible with a 3d object?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:23 am

In the few tests I personally did, I didn't need the edge blending in such situations. In the projector have different angles, they will not give the same light energy depending on the angle between the video projector rays and the object surface (a surface that is perpendicular to the projector will be brighter than one where the incidence is 45 degrees)
    If you need to edge blend to adjust, you'll have to:
    - Map the OBJ file once per projector
    - Manually put quads on top of it to handle fade out where needed, using mesh warping or quad masks to adjust the orientation.
    I did a quick demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VstsEfE-yc
  • Kennergy

by Kennergy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:24 pm

In the few tests I personally did, I didn't need the edge blending in such situations. In the projector have different angles, they will not give the same light energy depending on the angle between the video projector rays and the object surface (a surface that is perpendicular to the projector will be brighter than one where the incidence is 45 degrees)
    If you need to edge blend to adjust, you'll have to:
    - Map the OBJ file once per projector
    - Manually put quads on top of it to handle fade out where needed, using mesh warping or quad masks to adjust the orientation.
    I did a quick demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VstsEfE-yc

Mad Matt you legend!
    This is exactly the solution I was looking for.
    Thank you for your help!
  • ziopix

by ziopix » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:06 pm

Hi!
    really interesting post. I'm going to try a project with 11 video projectors with the 3D mesh. Do you think it will work?
    I tried a small mockup with different geometry and with 3 vpr and seems to work.
    Can anyone explain to me how to edit the calibration points? like how to add more points after the geometry moved into the canvas output.

Thank you