Help with controlling a simple LED strip via DMX-PWM decoder
  • franzmaslow

Help with controlling a simple LED strip via DMX-PWM decoder

by franzmaslow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 am

Hello!

I am testing a super simple case of controlling some single color led strips via DMX with Madmapper.

I cannot get it to work and I have no idea why. I have tried possibly everything.

The setup is as follows:

laptop -> Garagecube USB-DMX -> DMX512 PWM Decoder (30ch) Chinese (meant for RGB strips)

- The light on the USB-DMX is blinking(steady fast pulsating, no changes), so the DMX is going out of madmapper, as also shown on the mappers "DMX monitor"
    - The DEMO DIP settings of the Decoder is working, and the LED strips are turning on, so there is not a wiring error on the LED or PSU side.
    - I have set the DIP switch to ch1 on both, Madmapper and Decoder, with no luck of communication
    - I cannot get the "input" light to turn green on the Decoder, no matter what channel do I use in Madmapper/Decoder

I assume that Garagecube USB-DMX plays all the Universes at the same time, or I have missed something there.

As you can see on the photo, I have got three different DMX-Decoders, none of them is working with my setup.

Does anybody has experience with this type of DMX PWM decoders, I would appreciate your help.

Thank you!

Tilen
    Attachments
    IMG_1435sm.jpg
    IMG_1435sm.jpg (720.87 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Help with controlling a simple LED strip via DMX-PWM decoder

by mad-matt » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 pm

In MadMapper DMX Output preferences, did you choose the garageCube USB DMX device ? If that's the case, there are no more universe setting on the fixtures...
    Be sure not to choose the same garageCube USB DMX in preferences / DMX Input, choose "None" for input.
    Does it help ?
  • franzmaslow

by franzmaslow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:37 am

Thank you for your tips!

GarageCube USB DMX device is selected under the output
    For input, I have tried both, none and garageCube,

with no luck
  • franzmaslow

by franzmaslow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm

Quick question, is that normal: The "state" light on the USB-DMX (GarageCube) is blinking constantly fast, no matter what pattern I set on the Madmapper, even if I do not have any active DMX fixtures in the software. It stops only if I deselect the device under DMX output.

I have tried controlling a standard DMX PAR (Cameo CLPFLAT), with no luck

TY
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi,
    is that normal: The "state" light on the USB-DMX (GarageCube) is blinking constantly fast, no matter what pattern I set on the Madmapper,
    Yes, that's normal that the light blinks fast, and constantly, since the DMX signal is always transmitted, wether there are changes in the DMX frame or not.
    We're not aware of issues with the garageCube USB DMX.
    I assume that Garagecube USB-DMX plays all the Universes at the same time
    What do you mean by "All Universes" ? There's no more universe setting once you chose garageCube USB DMX as output.

Are you on macOS or Windows ? If Windows, did you iinstall zadig to get the device recognized by MadMapper ? What's the name of the device displayed in DMX Output preferences ?

Let's do a quick test:
    1- Reboot your machine
    2- Start MadMapper with a blank project
    3- Open Preferences, check that DMX Input is set to "None" and DMX Output to "garageCube USB DMX (...)"
    4- Create a single RGB pixel fixture on channel 1 and assign the "Gradient" material visual
    5- Open DMX Monitor to verify that the channels 1-3 are moving from 0 to 255
    Is it working in this case ?
  • franzmaslow

by franzmaslow » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:27 pm

Thank you for your support,

I am on Mac-touchbar with usb dongle (if that might be a problem) Also tested with dongle hub, it is the same.
    Tested all the DMX cables and pins, cabling should be fine. I also have DMX-tester with two lights.

I have done the steps you mentioned, still no connectivity.

TY
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:29 am

There is a known issue with some USB-C => USB adapters. Some are not transmitting data corrrectly. It happened to me on a froiend's install. Changing the adapter solved the issue.
    Do you have an apple adapter ?
    If so I suppose the unit is broken. It already happened but very rarely compared to units sold, but it's a possibility. If that's the case we'll send you a new unit (sales[at]garagecube[dot]com)
  • franzmaslow

by franzmaslow » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:16 pm

I have tried with Enttec USB-DMX and it is working, so the problem was in the USB-DMX converter.

Thank you for the help
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:27 pm

Ok then please contact sales[at]garagecube[dot]com to replace the unit. Sorry for the issue!