audio problem on madmapper 4
  • tontechnik

Re: audio problem on madmapper 4

by tontechnik » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:43 am

Indeed I can reproduce this issue. This will be solved in MadMapper 4.0.6. Thanks for reporting.
    The fact that audio stops when opacity is zero was introduced before we could link audio to surface opacity. The idea was that we could control a set of layers opacity with MIDI faders and so have the sound stopping when layer is fully off. I'm wondering if it still make sense now. I'll check with the team what is the best approach but I think if audio is not linked to opacity, it would make sense not to stop audio track.
    Hey Matt!

the "Link to Opacity" function is still not working properly! Either it is enabled or not, Audio only will be played if the Opacity is not 0%. So the audio level always depends on the opacity level. Tested in all 4.0x versions with HAP.mov

Please fix that issue in the next version! We need the function disabled for our next show. Thnx
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:40 am

Hi,
    the "Link to Opacity" function is still not working properly! Either it is enabled or not, Audio only will be played if the Opacity is not 0%. So the audio level always depends on the opacity level. Tested in all 4.0x versions with HAP.mov
    When surface opacity is at 0%, MadMapper does completely stops movie playback. This is done on purpose. Imagine you control 10 quad surfaces opacity from a MIDI controller, or from a DMX desk, in a video mixer fashion, you wouldn't want MadMapper to keep decoding all 10 movies all the time. When opacity is 0% it doesn't completely stops playback / decompression.
    If you don't want that to happen, you can change the target range of your control (if you're controlling the opacity with MIDI, OSC, DMX...) and set the minimum to 0.0001, it will avoid stopping playback and will keep audio track playing.
    Another option is to use an audio player module for audio playback.
    And last option: have another layer that is outside video projector (or that has just black video track) for audio.

Does it solve your problem ?

Kind Regards,
    Matthieu - MM team
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Yeah :)
    donuan

by donuan » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:52 pm

For anyone (like me) finding this post 2 years later, who has similar audio problems with the audio module in mad 5.3.2 on macOS:

I was getting glitches with both .mp3 & .wav files playing from the audio module on my macbook, which is a pretty powerful machine (running on Ventura 13.4.1), even when playing a single audio clip was the only thing going on.
    (full specs in attached screenshot in case GC wants to debug this)

SOLUTION:
    trying different formats I noticed that .acc files play without any issues (ACC, 128 kbps, 44100 Hz, Stereo).

Noticing this it also helped me solve another audio problem I was having, on a macMini which powers an installation I have running, as it also plays .acc just fine, but has problems with baked audio in .mp4/h264 video files, there it didn't glitch in the same way like the .mp3 files, but there is then something like bit crushing happening constantly (I guess, it sounds a bit metallic, like a flanger effect).
    This is probably a ram thing as there is a lot going on and the poor machine is working hard,
    BUT!
    separating the audio into .acc files fixed also that for me!
    (which is a bit weird, as the .mp4's baked audio is also 'ACC, 128 kbps, 44100 Hz, Stereo', but hey, whatever works right?)

Anyway, just wanted to mention this in the case it helps somebody banging their head on the same thing.
    ❤️
    Attachments
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 13.27.03.png
    Macbook Specs
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 13.27.03.png (178.32 KiB) Viewed 2159 times