Bug/Issue with Dimming DMX using Fixture vs Group vs Master
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

Bug/Issue with Dimming DMX using Fixture vs Group vs Master

by CaseyJScalf » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:11 am

Hello All,

Trying to figure out this pesky issue and I think I have finally nailed it down!

So, it looks like there is a bug when trying to dim certain LED light fixtures using MadMapper.

Some fixtures such as, but not limited to, this DMX LED Bar from ShowJockey will "go rainbow" if I dim the fixture via the group level.

If I dim via the individual light fixture, it works fine.
    If I dim via the DMX Master, it works fine.
    If I dim via the Master Master, it works fine.
    If I have the video feed be black itself, it works fine.

However, only when I dim the group level will it "go rainbow".

Here is a video explanation: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6XBEyEksy2vtSpvd9

@ 1:40 to skip to the good stuff...

Worth noting is that this happens regardless of MAC vs Windows, regardless of MM 3 vs MM 4, and regardless of DMX Interface (it's been a long day...).

We really need to work this out as we had this happen during a show recently where we had a MIDI knob dimming the entire stage via a group level mapping and they would go rainbow when we dimmed. Yikes! Some fixtures would stay true, others like the Scenografix by Showjockey, or some of the moving head lights, would... "go rainbow"!

I know this is kind of a weird edge case but we really are looking for any insight into why this is happening.

For instance, what could be different about dimming a light fixture vs a group?

Any help is super appreciated!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Bug/Issue with Dimming DMX using Fixture vs Group vs Master

by mad-matt » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Sorry for the very late answer. Did you find out the issue ?
    For sure MadMapper doesn't send a rainbow. Can you look at the difference in Tools / DMX Monitor ? You'll see all channels there so you should be able to see if there's any difference in the DMX signal being sent.
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

by CaseyJScalf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Hello @mad-matt,

Thank you for the reply. I agree that MM doesn't send the rainbow.

I like your tip about looking at the DMX monitor and checking there for any discrepancies. I will perform that test soon and check back with what I find out.

Thank you!
  • CaseyJScalf
    activ8 member

by CaseyJScalf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:31 am

Hello All!

I took some time to check out what was going on and I have a new video that will show the issue much better.

https://vimeo.com/498199557

To be precise the problem is when I try to dim the luminosity of a LED Fixture in group. Some LED Fixtures will default to their "no-data" settings and flash colors when I do this.

However, if I dim the R/G?B, OR, the luminosity of the LED Fixture itself (non-group level) there are no problems.

Furthermore, if I look into the DMX Monitor there is no difference in the output when viewing at that level for any kind of dimming. It all looks the same there.

It seems there is something deeper going on when dimming at the group level.

Also, worth noting, is that Resolume Arena does not have this issue.

But, I am not trying to dig too hard on MM vs RA as I really really like MM and that is why I spent the time to make this video. Hopefully it can clarify the issue and lead the MM team to find the bug and resolve the issue.

Thank you all!