OSC feedback
  • perthuis

OSC feedback

by perthuis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi Madmapper team,

I encountered problems with OSC feedback in Madmapper 4.0.0.
    Incoming OSC signals are working fine, but it seems that Madmapper cant produces feedback signals.
    My ports seem to be well configured.
    Also I couldn't find any resources explaining the exact configuration on this point.
    Am i missing a setting ?

Thanks
  • tontechnik

Re: OSC feedback

by tontechnik » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:35 am

+1
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:02 am

What are your settings in MM Preferences / OSC ?
    If you set feedback IP to "Auto" MadMapper will send feedback to all devices which have sent at least an OSC message to MadMapper (we keep a list of OSC controllers since application startup). If you set it to "Manual" you have to set the IP & OSC input port of the OSC app sending data to MM.
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:36 pm

OSC Rx = Port 8010
    OSC Tx = Port 8011 (Feedback)
    OSC Tx IP Adress (for Feedback) = Auto (Manual is not working too)

Bonjour is enabled and OSCquery works fine in the one direction. We use the Controller Software "Chataigne" for Protocol Translation and Controlling Hard-/Software. Data sent from Chataigne are always in sync. But not from Madmapper to Chataigne... :?
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:27 pm

Am I right?

OSCquery is ALWAYS Port 8010?

And MM feedbacks only incoming messages 1 to 1 from OSC input port xxxx (available in OSC setup) but not from OSCquery port 8010? :cry:
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 pm

MadMapper doesn't handle listening with OSCQuery. Only querying (at the moment).
    OSC Feedback is only sent for addresses manually connected with a Control (in Controls List), not for "OSC predefined channels" (ie /surfaces/Quad-1/opacity)
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:05 pm

So I can never get a Feedback in Chataigne from the selected Quad opacity out of MM, when opacity ic controlled by TouchOSC on my iPad? :shock: My wish is to have all my devices totally synchronized. All devices should communicate with each other bidirectional...
    ...and Chataigne as a "central OSC Router" for routing, pass-throughing and/or translating all messages from a to b. But that seems not possible at the moment because MM doesn't give that feedback out, which I want to recapture. for example "/surfaces/selected/opacity". I have also tried to get its feedback by manualy typing that predefined command in Chataigne but the same: No feedback from MM... :cry:
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:09 pm

No to get feedback you have to manually create controls to the parameters you want feedback for, ie create a Control from "/myAddress" to "/Quad-1/opacity". In this case when changing Quad-1 opacity from within MM it will send the new value to "/myAddress"
  • benkuper

by benkuper » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:06 am

Hey there,
    is there any plans on implementing proper feedback ? with Listen system
    Or at least having something to not have to create a feedback for each parameter (trying to control 1000+ parameters from Chataigne)
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:35 pm

Hi,
    In MadMapper 5.5 there is OSC Query feedback, we handle the LISTEN method. It should work with Chataigne. Which version of MadMapper are you running ?
    Matt