OBS Virtual Webcam
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

OBS Virtual Webcam

by timbrass » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:03 pm

I want to use a PC Window as Live Input to MM. I have installed OBS Studio and have selected a PC Window to stream and started the virtual camera. I can see OBS Virtual as a Live Input in MM and there is a "1" badge which implies it is running, but I don't see anything in the output window when I assign that Live Input to a Quad.

Should I expect to see my PC Window content as a Live Input in MM if I use OBS as the Virtual Camera?

Are there any other steps I might have missed?
    Attachments
    Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG (154.5 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

Re: OBS Virtual Webcam

by timbrass » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:06 pm

So I've got it working. The issue was that OBS does not seem to pick up all open Windows and even though it lists (some of) them in the Window dropdown they don't appear in the main OBS display window, so OBS is "sending" nothing for MM to pick up. Not sure why OBS doesn't see all Windows and doesn't list all open Windows (they are not on top of a restricted item like File Explorer).
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 pm

I think OBS has Spout output option. That would be much better since it's just sharing a texture in the graphics card, with no memory transfer. You actual workflow is: OBS is downloading the stream from the graphics card (VRAM=>RAM), stream is compressed by OBS, decompressed by MM, then uploaded by MM to graphics card (RAM=>VRAM). Spout would be better for performances & quality...
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

by timbrass » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:06 pm

Thanks. Looks like there is a Spout add-in (I didn't see any Spout option in the default OBS install) which I'll test.