Playback Problems
  • dariusp

Playback Problems

by dariusp » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm

Hi.

We are currently running an exhibition with MadMapper 4.0.10 on a fairly beefed up PC (see spec below). The file we are running is a 25mins, 3240 x 1080 HAP Q video with 5.1 Audio off an SSD (same as MadMapper). The exhibition has had to close as the playback is going out of sync and stuttering. We've got 60GB space free on the drive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Are we asking too much of MadMapper? Could an earlier version help?

many thanks
    Darius

PC SPEC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT Six Core CPU (3.8GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)

MotherboardASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s)

16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz

6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060

256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W)

1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MBCACHE

CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY

Asus Xonar AE 7.1-Channel Gaming Audio Card

Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
  • dawidrys26

Re: Playback Problems

by dawidrys26 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:10 pm

Hello
    Recently, I tested much higher resolutions on weaker hardware and it worked quite fine (MadMapper 4.0.9)

How would I start debugging based on my own experience:

1. Test codec HAP instead of HAP Q.
    (if you are displaying an animation / movie on the projector and the quality of the HAP codec is insufficient, sometimes it is enough to add 2% animated noise on overlay)

2. The projector is connected to the computer? Or how many screens are connected?
    (recently I'm working on a project where I connect 10 projectors to one PC - it puts a heavvvy load on the entire system. With 1 screen - 60 fps no problem. With 10 screen - system crying at 5 fps)

3. I had similar problems if the HAP Q had audio. If the audio was turned off or not at all, it worked better.
    (if necessary, you can add audio as a separate module)

4. HAP Q sometimes only loads on only one core of the CPU causing it to shuttering.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Playback Problems

by mad-matt » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 am

3. I had similar problems if the HAP Q had audio. If the audio was turned off or not at all, it worked better.
    (if necessary, you can add audio as a separate module)
    If you have a sample HAP file with audio that doesn't playback properly, please send it to us through support[at]garagecubeDOTcom. We'll investigate.
    4. HAP Q sometimes only loads on only one core of the CPU causing it to shuttering
    To dispatch decoding part done by CPU (fast unzipping) over multiple cores, you have to specify the "Chunk Count" / "Chunks" setting when exporting your HAP file. This can be done with some encoders.
    I personnaly use ffmpeg command line:

// HAP 12 chunks
    ffmpeg -i yourSourceFile.mov -c:v hap -chunks 12 outputName.mov
    // HAP alpha 12 chunks
    ffmpeg -i yourSourceFile.mov -c:v hap -format hap_alpha -chunks 12 outputName.mov
    // HAP Q 12 chunks
    ffmpeg -i yourSourceFile.mov -c:v hap -format hap_q -chunks 12 outputName.mov
    // HAP Q Alpha 12 chunks
    ffmpeg -i yourSourceFile.mov -c:v hap -format hap_q_alpha -chunks 12 outputName.mov