Madmapper Remote Export without a router
  • Simon_Holden

Madmapper Remote Export without a router

by Simon_Holden » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Is it possible to export to a minimad with MadLight Recorder without a router?

We use a lot of Minimads in conjuction with Artnet Controllers in remote locations, our usuall process is to fix the IP of both the Minimad and the artnet controller so we don't need a router with them so they can communicate directly. This works really well, and we use the export to chip functionalty, Manually configuring the IP to the same subnet as the artnet controller. Pop the chip back into the minimad, minimad is plugged directly to the artnet controller, power cycle and it runs sweet.

I wanted to try to export directly to a minimad without a router, but this doesn't seem to work, can this be something that is added? Ie, plug a network cable from the laptop, direct to the minimad, it pops up in the dropdown, export to it and fix the IP in Network Configuration, then swap the cable from the computer, to the artnet device.
  • Simon_Holden

Re: Madmapper Remote Export without a router

by Simon_Holden » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:10 pm

Just to note I am having a lot of trouble generally trying to update the minimad remotely, it seems you have to export manually first with the chip.

I'm using an HDMI cord and a display to see whats happening, and quite often when trying to export it will show a red pulse, with "updating the MiniMad", but will just hang on this and doesn't seem to recieve the new export.

Anyone else got remote export working properly?
  • Simon_Holden

Re: Madmapper Remote Export without a router

by Simon_Holden » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:25 am

I realize the issue I was having was that I had two networks, on different IP's one was my home network, attached via wifi on a different subnet from the wired network.

It's working fine now that I have restarted, and disabled the wifi, and only have my computer attached to a single network.

Question though, does the minimad have to be physically power cycled once the update has completed. It kind of defeats the purpose a bit to have remote update, but you still need to physically restart the minimad.