DMX issue when trying to switch videos
  • Brian_WPG

DMX issue when trying to switch videos

by Brian_WPG » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:18 pm

When a DMX "Fixture" is created, it seems to lock in on a specific video. So even when using Cues to change which video is playing, the DMX is still reading the original video, rather than the new one.

Our goal is to use a section of video not being sent to the projector to encode lighting information to send to specific lights (so we can't use the Live Output). An attract video, then 1 or more other videos that load when triggered by users (in this case NFC tags that trigger OSC commands). Everything else in this setup is working as expected, but I can't find a way to have the DMX selection update to the current video.

MadMapper 5.2.1 (Intel Mac)
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: DMX issue when trying to switch videos

by jasonbeyers » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:55 pm

Fixtures have their own media/visual parameter like surfaces do, and this can he changed by a cue (also like for surfaces). Are you sure your cues aren’t trying to apply the old video selection to your fixtures? I’d check the cue inspector to see what the cues are actually doing with your fixtures.

And you can use loopback streams for fixtures, by the way (it doesn’t have to be related to what’s going to your projectors, but could be if you wanted)
  • Brian_WPG

Re: DMX issue when trying to switch videos

by Brian_WPG » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:49 pm

Fixtures have their own media/visual parameter like surfaces do, and this can he changed by a cue (also like for surfaces). Are you sure your cues aren’t trying to apply the old video selection to your fixtures? I’d check the cue inspector to see what the cues are actually doing with your fixtures.

And you can use loopback streams for fixtures, by the way (it doesn’t have to be related to what’s going to your projectors, but could be if you wanted)
    That is useful info - I'll look into both things - I hadn't seen Fixtures as an option by Cue, so I'll check that first.
    I'd only seen the default streams, hadn't seen any videos showing loopback streams - will check that out for sure.
    Thank you for the tips/suggestions to try.