OSC input broken for minutes at a time after playing any cue
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

OSC input broken for minutes at a time after playing any cue

by jasonbeyers » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:20 pm

With Madmapper 5.2.4 on Windows 11, cue feedback (seemingly) is preventing the app from receiving any OSC input, for minutes at a time.

I had run into this in late 2021, but somehow I didn't run into this since then -- until today. I'm now hitting it constantly, now that I've re-introduced OSC into my project workflow.

I'm using Ableton Live to trigger 5 different rows of cues, for a 30-minute long lightshow to go with a performer. Often multiple rows of cues are involved at the same time (cues across rows are triggered at the same moment, in parallel). My project file is quite complex, with hundreds of MIDI inputs and even more madmapper controls (say, from modules). But the project itself doesn't define any custom OSC inputs -- instead, I'm using the built-in OSC controls for triggering cues by bank name / column / row. Ableton Live is the only app sending OSC signals to Madmapper.

When OSC input fails, my Ableton timeline no longer does anything in MM. The MM logs show nothing during the problem periods. And then MM "catches up" a little while later, and suddenly my cues start playing with a large lag.

I dug up an old email thread from Dec 30th 2021, regarding this issue, and saw that MM added "cue feedback" around that time (introduced in v5).

I decided to wire up a new OSC signal source (also Ableton, but with a custom OSC path) just to test if all OSC inputs were failing, or just the select-cue ones. I constantly changed the signal value and then clicked "Learn" in MM, and I got this path (which was not the OSC signal I was changing myself):

/cues/Bank-1/cues/by_cell/col_2/row_13

Madmapper was receiving OSC data on this path. My project has no bank named "Bank-1", and I also had no other MM instances running. But perhaps this was pointing to a bank I'm currently naming "Main".

Whenever the problem arises, I start seeing signals coming from paths like that. I've attached the log (which unfortunately doesn't have anything after the problem arose, which was minutes before the first mention of Ableton Link). Though it's unclear if I'm only seeing those signals during "quiet periods" because they too are delayed, or if the signals themselves are the problem.

Like in 2021, this issue seems to go away temporarily after restarting Madmapper. I can easily trigger the issue by playing any cue with the mouse - and that instantly gets MM back into a broken state (in terms of OSC input). Following a MM restart (getting MM back into a good state), I'm able to send OSC signals to MM just fine, as long as the OSC signals are not triggering cues. The moment a cue gets triggered - either manually or from OSC -- all OSC input falls apart.

This has become a blocker for me, for a show I have in a couple of weeks. Is there any way to disable this cue-feedback feature? Any quick fixes / registry edits as a workaround? Or is there an indication that the root cause could be different than cue feedback?

Thanks!
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: OSC input broken for minutes at a time after playing any cue

by franz » Tue May 02, 2023 5:39 pm

We introduced Cue Banks in v5, so obviously the adresses changed ... that's maybe the cause of your problem. Did you contact the support directly ?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: OSC input broken for minutes at a time after playing any cue

by mad-matt » Tue May 02, 2023 5:58 pm

There's a support request with this feedback. I have not been able to reproduce but I need to spend some more time on it.