Remote control of MM
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

Remote control of MM

by timbrass » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:48 pm

If (some of) your lasers/projectors are some distance from the PC running MM (and you don't want to buy long ILDA/HDMI cables), you can use a headless/keyboardless thin client (I use an 8gb /i5 / SSD ThinkCentre - £90) to connect to the laser/projector (and keep that thin client close enough for a short ILDA cable / VGA cable / HDMI cable). You can then use Windows 10 Remote Desktop to remote into the thin client via either WiFi or a long Crossover network RJ45 cable and control the copy of MM running on that Thinkcentre. You just need to make sure you don't get confused about whether you are looking at the local or remote instance of MM.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Remote control of MM

by mad-matt » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:55 pm

Another way is to just have a ethernet cable from computer to a network switch connected to all necessary DACs.
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

by timbrass » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:54 pm

I have been testing using an RDP connection to a remote headless thin client running MM (which connects to laser/projector) but was confused when the MIDI controller (LPK25) and Microphone on the thin client did not seem to work remotely (worked fine when local keyboard, mouse and monitor connected). Turns out you need to turn off Sound redirection in the RDP client. So I now have control of 2 copies of MM from one laptop, yet the remote instance can react to devices (in my case Microphone and MIDI keyboard) that are remotely attached.
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

by timbrass » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:25 pm

Having tested running MM via a Remote Desktop connection I have found that you can use the Laser output (via a USB port on the Thin client and Helios DAC) but you can't use local Video output. When running on the remote thin client MM only lists the remote desktop "monitor" in the available destination devices (a generic non-PNP monitor) so you can't direct video to a projector connected to the thin client, it outputs to the remote desktop. I assume this is a limitation of the way RDP works.
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

by timbrass » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:51 pm

Another way is to just have a ethernet cable from computer to a network switch connected to all necessary DACs.
    I use a Helios USB/ILDA DAC so it won't connect to a network switch and needs its own (nearby) computer.
  • timbrass
    activ8 member

by timbrass » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:53 pm

An even better method was to create a private WiFi network (to avoid long runs of Ethernet cable). The Thin client device is positioned close to the lasers (connected on ILDA cables) and broadcasts a private SSID which your main PC connects to it via WiFi (no need for Internet access). It automatically creates the network on power up.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/comput ... irelessly/

I haven't worked out how to control projectors this way since RDP doesn't allow you to remote the WINDOWS KEY+P to turn on the extended monitor...