dynamic lens/warp effect?
  • davidhoare

dynamic lens/warp effect?

by davidhoare » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi folks :)
    Is there a way anyone can think of to create an effect that behaves somewhat like a magnifying glass or waves - - ie. where it distorts objects below it in realtime?

I'm trying to create an effect for a show I'm doing where the background gets warped dynamically as if there are 'waves' of power emanating from a source onstage. I can create particle effects and motion transitions that give me the dynamics I want, but of course they just appear as colors added above the existing layers. What I'm hoping to find is a way to have the color of the top layer affect the position of pixels in the layers below, so they appear to be warping - - like looking through a lens, or through rippling waves of water...

If there's no built-in way to do this, is it something an ISF or quartz effect could do?

I hope that's clear - thanks for any ideas!
    David
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: dynamic lens/warp effect?

by mad-matt » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:07 pm

You should check all the Surface 2D FX available in the online library (you have to install them all, then after clicking a quad FX selection button, you can use left/right arrow keys to go through them all). Some should do what you want.
    If you want that on the output, whatever the surfaces are activated etc, you can create all your surfaces in a MadMapper "video output" which has no destination (but internal loopback enabled) and use a quad with the FX to display this composition in a video output with the destination set to you projector (check loopback tutorials on youtube)