Change Media on inactive Cue
  • Invisible Ray

Change Media on inactive Cue

by Invisible Ray » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:36 am

This seems like it should be simple to do, but I have read through the Scenes and Cues documentation and tried all the options I can think of in the UI and it does not seem possible.

I want to be able to change the media assigned to an inactive cue while another cue is active. This would allow me to make adjustments during a show, rather than having to have everything set up ahead of time.

To clarify
    1. I have two cues, A & B, and 3 movies, M1, M2, & M3
    2. I am using one quad, Q1, to show all the movies
    3. before the show I have movie M1 assigned to Q1 on cue A and M2 assigned to Q1 on cue B
    4. during the live show, I am playing cue A
    5. while cue A is playing, I decide I want to assign movie M3 to Q1 on cue B, instead of movie M2
    6. It does not seem possible to assign M3 to cue B unless I am actively playing cue B
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Change Media on inactive Cue

by jasonbeyers » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:52 am

Cues don’t have an “on” state, they are just triggers to change one or more parameters — optionally with a transition/fade. In this case, the important parameter is the name of the visual applied to surface Q1. And that little white circle on the cue thumbnail just shows cues that have been triggered most recently, as a visual reference.

Nothing is stopping you from applying video clip M3 to Q1 after you trigger a cue that applies M1. If you know in advance that you’re going to be playing M3 at some point, you could create a 3rd cue that just applies M3 to that surface - and trigger it when you want. Or if you want, you could just play the clip from the media bin when Q1 is selected - but you’d lose the ability to fade that clip in.

Cues are static, and can’t be edited on the fly, in an automated way. So that’s where the prep work comes in. There’s a wish list item about a “movie folder” feature that could simplify this a bit more: viewtopic.php?t=35201

But in general, if you have 10 different clips you want to show on Q1, you’ll need 10 different cues defined, in order to select them on the fly & to take full advantage of the cue system.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:31 am

that's an interesting topic. we might adress that in the future. I'll have a chat with the dev team.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:18 pm

easy:
    select the cue you want the change the media on,
    click "Edit" cues to go in edit mode
    open the cue inspector
    select the quad the media will be applied to
    click on the "visual" item in the Surface tab (left of the interface)
    this should automatically focus the cue inspector to the "visual" entry
    drag and drop your media from the media tab (right part of the interface) to the media thumbnail in the cue inspector.
    click "Edit" cues to exit the edit mode