"Sliding" or "Soft" Interpolation for U/I Controls - Smooth
    VJFranzK
    super8 member

"Sliding" or "Soft" Interpolation for U/I Controls - Smooth

by VJFranzK » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 am

Here is my post #100 on the message board! :D level up.

Now that I'm well used to using Modul8, I make use of the various controls, such as the "Master Zoom" slider -
    sometimes with a midi controller, but often just with the mouse pad

this one can be particularly interesting! because it brings the focus to different elements of the same set -

BUT when sliding it, it tends to look very "abrupt" - large chunky steps, instead of a smooth zoom as
    with the lens of a camera? ( This also tends to be very obvious on the manual rotation of layers,
    though the "auto rotate" seems to have a "slide" already built in - thanks! )

It would be nice to have a knob to "soften" the value adjustment on ALL U/I controls -
    IE - instead of jumping from 28 to 97 directly, it would more gradually interpolate or "slide" between these values, ( not "jump" )
    at the rate set by this knob, or knobs - because some kind of delay parameter would also be involved

this smoothness could made the output of modul8 look all the more "pro"
    ( I already prefer to use for compositing than the slow rendering After Effects! But these programs have different intent...)

of course, you all know? that using the "trace" knob just a bit adds the illusion of some "motion blur"!
    which can be handy to give your sets that "holographic" or "etherial" quality
    I usually leave it up at about 5 to 10%

speaking of delay...
    also, I've noticed the "auto log-out" on the message board seems too quick now?
    It logged me out WHILE I was writing this! It takes some time to compose a detailed response...
    youtube.com/vjfranzk
    Subscribe! ;-)
    wewearbuildings!

Re: "Sliding" or "Soft" Interpolation for U/I Controls - Smo

by wewearbuildings! » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Definitely I vote for this!
    For VJing usually the sliders are ok, but when it comes to video-installations, events, or any other project with low BPM, the sliders movement tends to be very abrupt.
    I really need a softer control to move layers very much slower than the M8 interface allow me. In most of the cases I just have to move the sliders a 10 or a 5% of their lengths...
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 am

if you're using a midi controller you can probably adjust the high and low setting of the fader or knob. most controllers have some sort of editor like
    touchosc:
    Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 12.49.29 AM.png
    touchosc
    Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 12.49.29 AM.png (25.68 KiB) Viewed 11121 times

and the akai mpk49 (min/max):
    Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 12.51.05 AM.png
    akaimpk49
    Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 12.51.05 AM.png (120.49 KiB) Viewed 11121 times

this way you can use the knob or fader naturally and have the change be the amount you want. for some reason i hadn't thought about this til you mentioned it but I think I'm going to have to go back on some of my midi maps and make these adjustments myself! :D
    wewearbuildings!

by wewearbuildings! » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 am

Thank you very much Orion: solved!!!! :twisted:
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 pm

no doubt glad I could help. :D