A better and more efficient media management
  • Vjsync

A better and more efficient media management

by Vjsync » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Me and probably a whole lot of users, struggle with your media management. if, like me you guys have tons and tons os loops separated by folders (a lots of them) will recognize this need.

1st. Beeing able to add more then 8 media sets (at least the double) like an option do "add" more media sets, (some folders of some guys have more than 128 files)

2nd. if you guys are like me and use a lot of folders and comute between loops in different folders you probably like me create a .Md8 project for each and every folder, so the need to load directely from the media set a loop from other folder is essencial, but with MD8 it's just not possible to do that on a practical bases, so i wonder if it could be possible to load, multiple media sets or changing the md8 project on the fly, while performing and keeping the previous loops playing on the layers where on the previous project they were loaded.

3rd. A much faster loading process of the thumbs in the media set, I use an ssd drive, with 8 gigs of RAM memory, and it loads the whole media set in about 10 seconds, it's a lot of time when you need to change de project while performing in real time...
  • anomad
    master

Re: A better and more efficient media management

by anomad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Vjsync wrote:2nd. if you guys are like me and use a lot of folders and comute between loops in different folders you probably like me create a .Md8 project for each and every folder, so the need to load directely from the media set a loop from other folder is essencial, but with MD8 it's just not possible to do that on a practical bases, so i wonder if it could be possible to load, multiple media sets or changing the md8 project on the fly, while performing and keeping the previous loops playing on the layers where on the previous project they were loaded.

. hmmm. i've messed around w/creating modules to load clips into certain locations (ie, load 32 clips into banks 1 and 2) while playing clips from bank 3. it's not impossible, but there is a noticeable hiccup in whatever media is playing when loading other banks. however, i'm on an older mac book pro w/7200rpm drive so maybe an SSD drive wouldn't have that issue.

. i'd like to be able to specify clips (or a media bank) to be 'ready to go at a moments notice' or keep in RAM dynamically to avoid those sorts of issues.

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • radiofreebc

Re: A better and more efficient media management

by radiofreebc » Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 am

I've developed a strange way of dealing with Modul8's limited media management. I load clips, as I get them, into Modul8's 8 pages of 16 clips (1 full 8 page mediaset). Then when I have 8 pages, I save those 8 pages by number using the MediaSet Load module. I then open up "Grab" and grab images of those 8 pages and save the images as the same number as the modul8 mediasets in a seperate folder of "mediaset images".

When I play live, I open all the mediaset images into Preview (right now I'm at about 150 pages of 8 clips), and then open Modul8. I keep Preview open in the background, and scan through all my mediaset images to find the pages I want. When I find one, the filename tells me the number, and I open that number with the MediaSet Load module in Modul8. It may sound like a really weird way to do things, but it actually seems to work well for me. I know my clips so well now that I can move quickly between them...and Preview doesn't seem to take a lot of memory...even with all those files open. I'm not sure how much faster my computer would run with Preview closed, actually. I've never really noticed a difference. It's a really fast way to scan your clips, and you get to know your clips pretty fast that way too.

It has limitations, for sure. It's a lot of extra work, and I can't really go back and edit my pages, because the images won't line up anymore. That's a hassle sometimes, and I've had to keep my clips organized in a way that hasn't really grown with me, but I'm knid of stuck unless I want to start from page 1, and do all 150 pages again...which I don't. So, I've learned to live with it, but it would be nice to have something native to Modul8 that was effective at showing ALL the thumbnails, in an extremely quick manner...sort of like this, but having the images actually be the triggers for the videos.

I haven't found anything faster than this yet though...and it isn't for everyone. I remember a promoter came up to me one night, and wanted to try playing some clips, and he found it kind of weird to look at them on one part of the screen, and then have to load them and play them in another part. I tried to explain why I had to do it, but kind of gave up and just said I had to do it this way to be able to see everything all at once.