Better license management
  • goldcat

Better license management

by goldcat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:45 am

It might be really boring but managing large numbers of MadMapper licenses is an utter pain in the ass, it's something I've been doing for years and it makes me fed up of MadMapper, which is a shame because the product is great.

The issue is that those of us working in education need to be able to manage which computers the license is installed on, ideally this would be done like every other product, there are a few options: 1. build your own little license server app like Autodesk, Rhino, Adobe etc... 2. use an existing product like Sassfras K2 Keyserver which is for example what Ableton and Max MSP use.

Again I realise this is boring, but when you are managing 50 licenses of MadMapper and each has the potential to just vanish because of either a software glitch or someone reinstalling the operating system, it gets boring real fast having to spend so much time looking after these things when we are also the people paying the most for the product.

I hope you can find a better way to deal with license management as I know that colleagues at other Art & Design schools also struggle with this issue.
  • Benoit
    ultim8 member

Re: Better license management

by Benoit » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:16 pm

You're absolutely right, managing such an amount of licenses (especially for educational purposes) can be a pain,

the good news :

the team was thinking about a better way for our users to manage their licenses for a while now and this new system may come soon :)

I can't tell anything specific right now but after reading your mail I'm sure you'll definitely be glad

In the meantime, feel free to contact us on support@garagecube.com at anytime if you need me to help you with your licenses
    caneron
    activ8 member

Re: Better license management

by caneron » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:21 am

+1 I'd love to see a better Auth system (and great to hear MM is working on it!!)

We only have 10 licenses or so - most of which don't move from computer to computer, but the occasional disappearance of a license happens (on Windows systems mostly!!) and MM support are very helpful figuring out a solve.
    creative technology producer, designer
    🫠 https://www.vacationland.club