Freeze FX
  • barneyb

Freeze FX

by barneyb » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 am

For a project I use live video, freeze it, make a picture out of it and send it over to one of the quads. Now this process kills me since I do the grabbing outside of Madmapper, and the action must be done in real time in a split second. What would be great is a FX that can "freeze" the incoming video (and trigger it with OSC) so I can use different freezes on different palettes. One other option would be a ISF or QC patch, but that means a instance for each Quad, kind of overkill....

Any suggestions? :idea:

Cheers, Barney
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Freeze FX

by jasonbeyers » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:10 am

This can easily be achieved with multi-pass shaders (such as ISF), however Madmapper does not support multi-pass shaders or shader buffers at the moment.

Freeze-frame example ISF: https://editor.isf.video/shaders/5e7a7f ... 18206de3c5

I eagerly await the day when MM can run these kinds of shaders natively, which would open the door to so many cool effects. Until then, you'll probably need to route your output *from* Madmapper via Syphon/Spout to a program like Magic Music Visuals, TouchDesigner, Kodelife, etc that can do the freeze-frame step. Magic Music Visuals can run that particular ISF example as-is.

Hope that helps!
  • barneyb

Re: Freeze FX

by barneyb » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:45 am

Hi Jason, missed your reply completely, sorry for that. At the moment I am using Isadora to do the trick (since it is live art, I need to grab image to a JPEG and replace output by grabbed image, in case of power failure, we still have the JPEG) and send it over to MM by Syphon, but I need the 6 Syphon pipes alive from Isadora to Madmapper (or one super high res) My knowledge of ISF is limited, but I would love to run the whole program into MM.

So, live input that you can see on a mapped surface, this live input can be grabbed on a moment and output is swapped from live to JPEG, then to the whole proces again on the next surface. I really need to store it like an image, not in internal memory. If something goes wrong in the show we loose all images. (The acts are live) I wonder how far this can be done now with MM4

Thanks, Barney

This can easily be achieved with multi-pass shaders (such as ISF), however Madmapper does not support multi-pass shaders or shader buffers at the moment.

Freeze-frame example ISF: https://editor.isf.video/shaders/5e7a7f ... 18206de3c5

I eagerly await the day when MM can run these kinds of shaders natively, which would open the door to so many cool effects. Until then, you'll probably need to route your output *from* Madmapper via Syphon/Spout to a program like Magic Music Visuals, TouchDesigner, Kodelife, etc that can do the freeze-frame step. Magic Music Visuals can run that particular ISF example as-is.

Hope that helps!
    [/quote]