Option to disable feedback for individual MIDI controls
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Option to disable feedback for individual MIDI controls

by jasonbeyers » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:34 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a live VJing project that selectively applies animations/oscillations to some MIDI-controlled parameters, flipping between manual control and automated control. I've been using Control Combiner modules to achieve this, and doing some trickery to display the animated versions of the parameters on my MIDI controller LEDs -- so that it is obvious to me when the parameter is being automated (vs being controlled only by the MIDI encoder/fader). However, this requires that I use two MIDI controls for the same encoder on my controller: an "input" for the manual control, and an "output" that reflects the animated value. I'm using the "input" one to influence the range of the animation itself.

Unfortunately this causes some problems, where the feedback from the animated/automated copy is influencing the "input" one, because my MIDI controller is now receiving feedback from two places, for the same ring of LED lights around my encoder knob.

Feature request: add a checkbox for every MIDI control (in the controls panel), to enable/disable feedback for that control. And that checkbox could just be checked by default, aligning with current behavior. This would let me disable feedback for the "input" one, allowing my "output" control to have exclusive rights to the feedback for that MIDI channel.

This is doable with other software such as Touchdesigner, but it would be great if this could be done within Madmapper.

Thanks for your consideration!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Option to disable feedback for individual MIDI controls

by mad-matt » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:30 pm

That's a good feature request. Shouldn't be complicated to implement. I'll let you know.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:16 am

Thanks Matt! This would be a huge help for my projects
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Wed May 10, 2023 4:43 am

Thank you for adding this to MM in 5.3.x! Much appreciated!