Controls for changing view position in cue bank
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Controls for changing view position in cue bank

by jasonbeyers » Wed May 10, 2023 4:35 am

Hi,

For the last 8 months or so, I've been using a MIDI control system (dual Traktor F1 controllers) to map to different slices of my Madmapper cue banks, using Control Combiner modules to govern the row and columns played by the pads on the physical controllers.

I already use the "select bank" controls to update the Madmapper UI in response to virtual "tabs" I've mapped to other buttons on my controllers -- allowing me to see the thumbnails of the cues that I'm about to play from the physical pads. However, I still need to scroll the cue bank UI to actually find the cues.

It would be great if there were additional OSC channels (or at least, mappable controls) for changing the position of the viewport of the cue bank itself -- using the row/column coordinates of the upper-left cue shown. That way, the MM UI can show exactly what cues are currently mapped to the pads at the time. I've tried to implement this myself using AutoHotKey, mapping keyboard shortcuts to a specific number of scroll up/down/left/right events, but the results have been pretty rough. I just can't seem to get things to align with a specific set of cues in the cue bank UI.

Ideally, there would be controls to change the viewing position to show the specified row and column in the top-left of the cue bank window (handling the necessary scrolling in one action) -- and even better, if this could be combined with a cue bank name. But even if the control only supported movement in the currently-shown cue bank, that would be fine too (I could always just figure out a two-step process: jump to bank, and then jump to position).

Hope this makes sense. I currently have ~30 4x4 grids of cues (almost 500 cues!), spanning four cue banks, and this would make it a *lot* easier to navigate through my content in a live setting & show me with the thumbnails of the cues that I might play in the moment. I tend to prefer cues that do just one thing (say, control content on just one layer), leading to a lot of cues, so this feature would greatly improve my workflow.

Thanks for your consideration!
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Controls for changing view position in cue bank

by jasonbeyers » Wed May 10, 2023 4:44 am

Or, if the existing "Select cue" controls could also change the viewing position to show the cue in the top-left, that would solve this as well
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed May 10, 2023 4:42 pm

Are you talking about /cues/selected/columns/select_next ?
    Would adding "/cues/selected/view_scroll_x" / "/cues/selected/view_scroll_y" be a good solution ?
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Thu May 11, 2023 12:14 am

Oh, actually it seems MM currently doesn't let you select a specific cue using row+column coordinates -- the select_next and select_previous simply move the selection to the left or the right (depending on what cue is currently selected, if any).

So with that in mind, having the ability to jump the viewport to the selected cue would be half of the puzzle, and perhaps it would be simpler if there was just a new control added for this (independent of cue selection) which would take care of everything:

/cues/[selected OR bank_name]/cues/by_cell/col_[column number]/row_[row number]/view [BOOL]

Where this would take care of the scrolling necessary to make the specified row/column cue visible in the top-left of the viewport, regardless of the cue bank zoom/scale level. If this could also take care of changing the active bank (if the bank name differs from the current active one), it would eliminate the need to send a separate request for that beforehand (but, not a big deal).

This proposed control is similar to the existing "play cue by row/column" control, which actually plays that cue:

/cues/[selected OR bank_name]/cues/by_cell/col_[column number]/row_[row number] [BOOL]

So in this case, the need would only be for scrolling to the cue and not actually play it.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:35 am

You can actually control the offset in the Cue Bank view using the "Control Surface" module Offset X & Offset Y parameters.
    Let me know if it's a good solution for you.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:33 am

This is perfect, thank you! It works like a charm. I'm now able to have Madmapper's Cue Bank view match various "virtual banks" that I have implemented for my MIDI controllers. This is going to help with live shows, quite a bit!
  • Firefly_199x

by Firefly_199x » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:16 am

Have you fully explored the functionalities of Control Kombiner? It might offer more than the basic row/column mapping you mentioned. Buckshot Roulette