OSC control of artnet playback using second USB ethernet port
  • shortnotion

OSC control of artnet playback using second USB ethernet port

by shortnotion » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Our minimad doesn't seems to respond to OSC messages when it's running in dmx/artnet mode ( the user guide says it supports /play, /pause, /replay, /previous_sequence, /next_sequence, etc. and I found on the forum somewhere that it's listening to port 1111).

During a test with video playback the OSC messages do work.

Note that we're using a USB-ethernet interface to connect the miniMAD to our router, while the main Ethernet port is connected to our light fixtures (artnet recordings are working; they automatically start playing at startup and using the keyboard we can jump between recordings).

I can ssh into the minimad and I used a python script on the minimad the verify that our OSC control messages are in fact arriving. I even tried receiving messages using a python script on a different port on the minimad and forwarding them to port 1111 locally (either targeting localhost or the IP address for the main ethernet port) but this also has no effect.

Does anybody have advice? Note that the reason why we're using a second ethernet port on the minimad is because it's hooked up to a rotating installation, together with the light fixtures and we'd like to avoid adding a router to the moving installation as well.
  • shortnotion

Re: OSC control of artnet playback using second USB ethernet port

by shortnotion » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 pm

So I did another test with video, since that was working the last time, to verify if video works when using the second USB-ethernet port. In short; it doesn’t.

The longer answer;

When the miniMAD is “normally” connected to the network, using its main ethernet port, all OSC messages work, both from my laptop (sending the OSC messages over a network) or from the miniMAD itself;

# from my laptop

Code: Select all

oscsend MINIMAD.local 1111 /pause
    # from the minimad itself

Code: Select all

oscsend 127.0.0.1 1111 /play
    Note that I’m using liblo-tools for testing, which lets me send OSC messages from the command line. To send messages from the miniMAD, I first ssh into it using ssh pi@MINIMAD.local

When I boot the miniMAD with only an ethernet connection on the secondary USB-ethernet port, it’s not responding to ANY OSC message (neither from my laptop nor from localhost; I can still ssh into it).

Interestingly, when I shortly connect the main ethernet port to a random raspberry pi that I have lying around (also when the miniMAD is already running and connected on only the secondary ethernet port), it will shortly display the “SYNCING” overlay message over the video after which the OSC messages suddenly work, even after I disconnect the ethernet cable from the main ethernet port and only leave the secondary ethernet port connected...

It seems like the networking part of the minimad software doesn't activate until a connection on the main ethernet port is detected?
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: OSC control of artnet playback using second USB ethernet port

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 am

It seems like the networking part of the minimad software doesn't activate until a connection on the main ethernet port is detected?
    That's exactly true. The software has been designed to rely on the onboard network adapter.

In the future we thought about supporting two IP-addresses on the same adapter to benefit both from the local (DHCP) network and an Artnet network.

However, it might also be interesting to support a secondary USB network adapter (whether it's ethernet or wireless) for separate OSC control.