MiniMad w/ Artnet output networked to iPad?
  • neophte

MiniMad w/ Artnet output networked to iPad?

by neophte » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi!

What I want to do: Control a couple hundred LEDs using an iPad wirelessly.

What I'm trying: The LEDs are connected to a PXlite controller[1] which takes Art-net or sACN input. I am using a miniMad to output Art-net through the ethernet port. I've made an iPad app that can send OSC messages over a network and want the miniMad to listen to those OSC message to figure out what media to send to the PXlite controller.

My problem: What is the best way to connect the miniMad to a network? My original plan was connect the miniMad to a router or a wifi-enabled RaspberryPi, but the ethernet port on the miniMad is taken up to connect to the PXlite. And from going through the forums, it seems a usb-ethernet dongle will not work [2]. What alternatives do I have?

Links
    [1] https://www.advateklights.com/shop/home ... -mkii.html
    [2] viewtopic.php?f=37&t=34959
  • neophte

Re: MiniMad w/ Artnet output networked to iPad?

by neophte » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Another idea, would I be able to use one of the usb ports of the miniMad to output Artnet, and have a usb-ethernet dongle for that purpose instead?
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 am

You can use a ethernet switch connected to a wifi-router, or a wifi-router with ethernet ports to connect both the Pixlite (ethernet) & your iPad (wifi). Enable DHCP if possible, else you'll have to make sure the Pixlite and wifi-router are on the same network as the miniMAD (which you configure when exporting).
  • shortnotion

by shortnotion » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello @neophte, as you probably saw in the thread that I started (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=34959&p=57918#p57918) I've tried messing around with a second ethernet port on the minimad, using a USB-ethernet adapter, but that's not working at the moment.

I confirm the approach suggested by @Pierre Guilluy, I generally connect the minimad to an old broadband wifi-modem with build-in ethernet router (but a simple ethernet switch also works) and also connect the art-net-receiving device to one of its ethernet ports, this way the art-net messages from the minimad should find their way via the router/switch to the receiver and at the same time any OSC-messages from another device connected to the router should be able to arrive at the minimad. Also, for troubleshooting, I can easily connect my laptop, or even my phone (via wifi) to the network.

I actually prefer to not rely on DHCP so I assign a manual IP-address when exporting to the minimad, taking care that it's not trying to use the same IP address as the art-net receiver, but it DOES use the same subnet mask.