MINIMADS changing IP...sometimes
  • parabrisa

MINIMADS changing IP...sometimes

by parabrisa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello,

We have an installation with 10 minimad and three computers (pc) in network connected by ethernet cables through a switch. There is one computer that sends the play order through ableton live (OSC).

so...while installed in a venue, no matter how long, we can shut off the power, and next days, over and over, minimads stay in the same IP, but when we change to another place, they change IP, so we have to change IP of the 3 computers to match the new range and change adress in the OSC (play) plugin in Ableton Live.

I am using a switch, not connected to internet, neither to a router, so IP should not change...
    Is there something I can do to avoid change this 4 numbers in every installation?

Thanks!!!
  • parabrisa

Re: MINIMADS changing IP...sometimes

by parabrisa » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:17 pm

PLEASE, SOME HELP?
    If it is a stupid or basic question ,please just tell me...
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:41 pm

I guess the network has a DHCP server running (most probably on a router) right?

When a device often connects the same network, the DHCP server tends to assign it with the same IP address.

But if you connect to another network, the other DHCP server will serve different IP addresses.

Depending on the router / DHCP server, you can manually set the IP address for a specific MAC address (each miniMAD has a unique MAC address).
    So if you configure both your networks with the same IP / MAC addresses mapping, you won't have to make changes changes in your Ableton OSC patch.
  • parabrisa

by parabrisa » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Thank you very much for your answer Pierre,

What it does not make sense to me is that I am using a switch, not a router, and IPs should stay the same (am I wrong?) , because non of the computers nor the switch are connected to any other network, or Internet.

Anyway, I'll go for the MAC Adresses option,

thanks again
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 am

In case there are only switches and no DHCP server on the network, the miniMAD configure themselves their IP address using random generators, and make sure to be all different.