MINIMAD with MIPI screen
  • Leos1577

MINIMAD with MIPI screen

by Leos1577 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been asked. I was experimenting with a small 5 inch MIPI display, paired with a controller board that converts it to HDMI. I believe it's this model: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Board ... B07DCHFCJZ

I'd like to use it with the Minimad to have a small but high res display for an exhibition space.

It works great connected on HDMI to my Macbook Pro. However the Minimad doesn't detect anything and the screen remains black, no matter how I try to connect it (before it boots, the controller board connected to the HDMI output).

The screen is advertized as fonctionnal for Raspberry Pi, does anyone have an idea of what's going wrong here? Does it come from the controller board, or does the Minimad not support that type of display?

Happy to know if anyone has informations that could help :)

Best,
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: MINIMAD with MIPI screen

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:19 am

What's the resolution of your screen?

What happens if you start the miniMAD with a standard HDMI monitor and plug your interface instead after the mapping has started playing?
  • Leos1577

by Leos1577 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:47 am

Hi Pierre, thanks for your reply.

What's the resolution of your screen?
    The display is 1440X2560.

What happens if you start the miniMAD with a standard HDMI monitor and plug your interface instead after the mapping has started playing?
    I tried starting the miniMAD first plugged on another 2560x1440 display, the mapping plays perfectly and is scaled properly on the monitor. Unfortunately, as I plug my interface instead the MIPI screen remains black.

Maybe there is something going on with the controller board not understanding the signal sent by the miniMAD? As the screen is supposed to work for Raspberry Pi, does it mean the miniMAD should be set up in a different way when I export from MADmapper?

Thanks for your help,
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:04 am

Ok, what output resolution did you use when exporting to the miniMAD?

Does the controller support other resolutions than 2560x1440?
  • Leos1577

by Leos1577 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi,

Ok, what output resolution did you use when exporting to the miniMAD?
    I first exported in 1920x1080 50Hz, then tried to connect it to my other 2550x1440 display (a big computer screen), where the image was upscaled by the monitor I guess.

Does the controller support other resolutions than 2560x1440?
    I plugged the MIPI screen to my macbook just to give it a try. Here is a snapshot of the monitor settings in MacOs:

I'm not sure if it means the controller board can accept only a 1440p and a 720p signal, or if it only has to do with the scale settings of MacOs. I tryed to export again in 720p, but it still didn't work.

I think I'll just look for another similar display & controller board, in 1080p only. As it's the maximum resolution the miniMAD can output, I think it has more chance to work that way. I also heard I could try to use a scaller, but it may become to complex for what I want to do.

Thanks for your help! Let me know if I can try anything else.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Thx for the report, but it seems the image you sent failed to appear in your post.