MiniMad Light - Audio Output
  • nsunier

MiniMad Light - Audio Output

by nsunier » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi,

I am unable to use new feature of MadMapper 4: audio output for MiniMad Light.

After updating MadMapper to 4.0.1, I updated SD card, activated MiniMad. Then I created a simple ArtNet sequence with an attached MP3 sound file. It is playing correctly inside MadMapper, I can hear sound.

After exporting the sequence to MiniMad, I am unable to hear any sound on MiniMad mini jack output!? I checked MiniMad HDMI output. After MiniMad logo disappears, I can hear a scratch noise on mini jack output. But after that nothing else. I tried to press MiniMad buttons, and also to control it with an USB keyboard, but nothing happens.

Did I miss an option? What can I check? Should I purchase an USB audio interface? If yes, which one is advised?

Last question: what is effect of "Sync Audio to DMX" option? I tried it activated and deactivated, but it did not help.

Thanks in advance for your answer. I have to reply to a customer by tomorrow and I must know if MadMapper is a reliable candidate to playback ArtNet + audio. Goal is to control light and sound ambiance of an hotel room.

Regards,
    Nathanaël
  • nsunier

Re: MiniMad Light - Audio Output

by nsunier » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:03 pm

Update:

Now I understand that it makes a difference if MiniMad is booting with or without an Ethernet cable properly connected.

I wanted to test audio only and did not connect Ethernet cable. With Ethernet cable connected before MiniMad is booting, it works well. It is really reactive.

It remains a few open questions and remarks:

1. What are the requirements to enable audio output of MiniMad? An Ethernet link?
    2. Audio quality of mini jack output is horrible and unusable for my customer application (quiet hotel room ambiance). I understand that USB audio is my only remaining option. Could you please advise me some references of compatible USB audio interface (stereo is enough) and powered USB hub (it seems to be required to power USB audio interface properly). Which HW are you daily using?
    3. What is effect of "Sync Audio to DMX" option?
    4. If I select playback option "Play sequence once and blackout", it is displayed on MiniMad HDMI output as "Play media once and freeze". Why not blackout, as selected with MadMapper?
    5. Still with same playback option, when sequence is frozen at its end, audio is also correctly stopped. But if I press on space bar of USB keyboard, it continues playing music after end point of sequence. It seems to be a bug.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:58 am

1. If you've selected ArtNet or sACN output, MiniMad Light actually waits for the ethernet connection to be up and running before starting playing back.
    2. Any simple USB audio interface should work. When developing MiniMad Light I'm using a super simple USB-powered dongle I bought many years ago for 5€.
    3. You can click on the little i button that's on the right of the checkbox to open an information box that says:
    "When checked, the audio track will stay in sync with the lighting track.
    When unchecked, the audio will loop independently from the lighting playback."
    4 & 5. That sounds like bugs we'll check and fix in MadMapper 4.0.2.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:45 pm

4. I actually couldn't reproduce this problem: when I export a few sequences using Play Once and Blackout, the MiniMad actually starts using Play Once and Blackout playback mode.

5. This will be fixed in MadMapper 4.0.2: a finished sequence will restart when pushing the pause button / spacebar, the same way MiniMad Video does using the Play Once modes.
  • nsunier

by nsunier » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Hello Pierre,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. It is appreciated.

I will continue experimenting this new MiniMad software release.

About question #1, I am usually working with ELC Ethernet nodes but they are quite expensive for some applications. I read that MiniMad supports ENTTEC USB Pro interface. I am also using this interface time to time with Resolume. But I have to admit that I sometimes experienced some issues with this interface mainly because of driver issue, which makes it not working at every computer boot. In my opinion, Ethernet nodes are more reliables once well configured.

What is your opinion?

And a last general usage question. As written in my first message, my customer would like to create an ambiance (light + sound) in a quiet hotel room. Do you think that MiniMad is enough stable and reliable for such long term application?

Regards,
    Nathanaël
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am

About question #1, I am usually working with ELC Ethernet nodes but they are quite expensive for some applications. I read that MiniMad supports ENTTEC USB Pro interface. I am also using this interface time to time with Resolume. But I have to admit that I sometimes experienced some issues with this interface mainly because of driver issue, which makes it not working at every computer boot. In my opinion, Ethernet nodes are more reliables once well configured.
    We didn't receive any complain about ENTTEC USB Pro with MiniMad so far.
    Please not that USB devices must be plugged in prior to powering on the MiniMad.
    And a last general usage question. As written in my first message, my customer would like to create an ambiance (light + sound) in a quiet hotel room. Do you think that MiniMad is enough stable and reliable for such long term application?
    MiniMad has been used on permanent installations for years now.
    Once your audio setup is functional, I'm confident the setup will run flawlessly.