miniMad Light with audio issues
  • albert_nouled

miniMad Light with audio issues

by albert_nouled » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 am

Hi!

First, I'm super excited with the new functionalities that miniMad has with the version 4 of Madmapper. Audio + ArtNet is a killer feature for that price! :D

... but I'm facing some problems with the audio:

- The first was the output volume (now fixed): I had to enter to the "alsamix" menu through ssh to the raspberry and increase it 0dB (it was set to -20). It was almost impossible to hear with my PA system (I don't have gain control).

- But what concerns more me, and can cause me problems in my installation in some kind of "buffer size" noise, it's some kind of "cracking", like when you have the buffer of your sound card to small and some audio packets get lost. This kind of noise is very random, and the music is very important in my installation so must be heard very clear....

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have to deliver the installation in two days and I'm running out of time.

My set up is simple, a miniMad with a static IP, connected directly to an Advatek controller, sending up to 16 universes of ArtNet.

Do you recommend me to use an external sound card? Can I change the buffer size maybe? Or should I import the audio file in MP3, WAV, in mono, stereo, etc? Any indication in how to improve the issue is very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: miniMad Light with audio issues

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:35 am

The buzz you hear most is digital noise on the analog audio jack, most probably coming from the network activity (you can unplug the ethernet after playback has started and check if the noise is still audible).

To avoid such problem we advice using an USB sound-card.

Any device that works on Mac or Windows without installing drivers should work.
    You'll have to use a power USB hub in case the the device draws too much power from the MiniMad.

Let us know!
  • albert_nouled

by albert_nouled » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi Pierre!

Thanks for your fast reply! We bought a pair of mini USB cards and yes it works, but we are still facing some kind of problems...

It sounds like some times the audio gets some memory overloaded and plays slowly than normal, then a little faster, and comes back to the position where it should be (it comes to synchrony).

Any ideas in how to face this issue??? We have a 2min aprox .wav file at 44.1kHz and 16bit, with only one animation of also this length, and the option "Synch audio to DMX" enabled.

Waiting for your reply, thanks!
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:38 pm

Please share your faulty sequence on http://www.garagecube.com/contact/ and we'll take a look at it and fix the problem asap.