USB audio output
  • Leos1577

USB audio output

by Leos1577 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:16 pm

Hi,

I'm posting here as I'm looking for some informations about using a USB soundcard with a Minimad.
    We're working on a video projection and would like to use the 5.1 audio mix of the film with a set of surround speakers. We decided to go for the StarTech ICUSBAUDIO7D (https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-ad ... usbaudio7d)

The soundcard works on MacOs and Windows without any drivers, and is plugged to the Minimad before boot. No power deliveries issue. However, we're still not getting audio output, only the jack and HDMI work.

When we look at the Minimad documentation, the use of a USB soundcard is only mentionned for Minimad Light. Is there a possibility to get USB audio output Minimad Video? If not, could we workaround this limitation by synchronizing two Minimads, one for the image and one for the sound?

Best,
    Leos
  • Benoit
    ultim8 member

Re: USB audio output

by Benoit » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:24 pm

sorry for the bad news but indeed you can only sound with the jack port or HDMI
    you can't synchronise a MiniMad video and a MiniMad light too...
  • Leos1577

by Leos1577 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:58 pm

sorry for the bad news but indeed you can only sound with the jack port or HDMI
    you can't synchronise a MiniMad video and a MiniMad light too...
    Thanks for your answer, we'll look for an alternative solution then.
    Do you think we could see this feature implemented in the futur?

Best,
    Leos
  • Benoit
    ultim8 member

by Benoit » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am

It's hard to say, there is definitely a new MiniMad in project (with a newer Raspberry), but no new feature has been decided or even studied yet
    Then in the latest news there is the addition of audio tracks (for MiniMad Light...), MiniMad modules in MadMapper, manual network configuration, a shutdown command in OSC
    There are also things we would like to do like exporting a whole show in the MiniMad (hopefully in the future..)
  • Leos1577

by Leos1577 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:11 pm

It's hard to say, there is definitely a new MiniMad in project (with a newer Raspberry), but no new feature has been decided or even studied yet
    Then in the latest news there is the addition of audio tracks (for MiniMad Light...), MiniMad modules in MadMapper, manual network configuration, a shutdown command in OSC
    There are also things we would like to do like exporting a whole show in the MiniMad (hopefully in the future..)
    Thanks for your answer.

We actually found some kind of workaround: you can sync two Video Minimad with two different soundtracks. Then you get two distinct stereo outputs, that can work for a quadryfonic set up. So for instance, you would have Minimad 1 with the film and the 2 front channels, and then Minimad 2 with the 2 surround channels.

It's not ideal but it actually worked consistently in our tests. I guess if you add more Minimads you can reproduce a 5.1 or even a 7.1 environnement.

Best,
    Leos
  • Bululu

Re: USB audio output MiniMad

by Bululu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:34 am

Hello,

I don´t own a MiniMad yet but before I buy it I have a question about the USB Sound topic.

For a project I want to do VideoMapping with 5.1 Surround Sound. Since HDMI is able to transfer 5.1 sound + video signal, can you confirm MiniMad will send 5.1 audio output via HDMI?

The idea is to use a Surround-AudioReceiver, the ones you use for Home Cinemas. The receiver has a output for the Video to transmit to the projector. So it splits video and audio.

Thanks a lot for checking!

Cheers
    B
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:40 am

For now, 5.1 audio playback is only available in MiniMad Light by using an external USB audio device.
  • kazimier

by kazimier » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:22 pm

We actually found some kind of workaround: you can sync two Video Minimad with two different soundtracks. Then you get two distinct stereo outputs, that can work for a quadryfonic set up. So for instance, you would have Minimad 1 with the film and the 2 front channels, and then Minimad 2 with the 2 surround channels.

It's not ideal but it actually worked consistently in our tests. I guess if you add more Minimads you can reproduce a 5.1 or even a 7.1 environnement.

Best,
    Leos
    Do you have some more info on how you did this? i have been trying to make this work but the 2 videos/audio stutter.. as soon as i unplug the ethernet cable, the files play fine. I am guessing the issue is that each minimad has a different video file...? My setup currently is video 1 with a stereo audio track playing on Minimad 1 and then video 2 with a different stereo track audio track playing on Minimad 2.. I can't work out how to make it work with 4 channels of audio .. any help would be greatly appreciated!