minimad light sd card recovery doesnt work in 5.2.3
  • mamdos

minimad light sd card recovery doesnt work in 5.2.3

by mamdos » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:01 pm

This is a courtesy post to inform everyone that as far as my testing has gone (3 SD cards and a full f*ing day wasted) something has broken in the 5.2.3 update to madmapper that messes up the SD card initialization.

TLDR: MM5.1.6 works fine. use that instead

Here is a description of the problem:

-Take an SD card
    -flash the provided MiniMad_4_210715_8GB image with the fancy balenciaga etcher
    -put sd card in minimad
    -do the initialization dance
    -take sd card out, plug it in computer and pull up madmapper 5.2.3.
    -go to export to minimad page
    -madmapper tells you that this is minimad video, and it has to convert it to minimad light. you want to tell it "sorry for the trouble" and "i would have totally flashed the minimad light image myself if i had it, but its not provided on the download page" but you cant because its just a software. you ask yourself if you are losing your mind doing this for the 50th time in a day.
    -madmapper does the conversion for you and you put the sd card back into the minimad. trusting that it did the conversion right
    nothing comes up. there should be an output on the screen that gives you some basic info but its just the madmapper logo.

-its a day before showtime and you are losing time 20 minutes at a time flashing SD cards.

lucky you, i've already pulled all my hair out so you can continue your life rocking that bowlcut. Here is what you should do:

-Take an SD card
    -flash the provided MiniMad_4_210715_8GB image with the fancy balenciaga etcher
    -put sd card in minimad
    -do the initialization dance
    -take sd card out, plug it in computer and pull up madmapper 5.1.6. i repeat madmapper 5.1.6.
    -go to export to minimad page
    -madmapper tells you that this is minimad video, and it has to convert it to minimad light. even though you are traumatized. you let it do the conversion.
    -madmapper does the conversion for you and you put the sd card back into the minimad.
    - TADA it works!

I actually took another hour our of my day to test this to make sure im not wasting anyone elses time. Whats another hour lost to flashing sd cards when you've lost 10?
  • max-light

Re: minimad light sd card recovery doesnt work in 5.2.3

by max-light » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:42 pm

Yes! Thanks you so much! I’ve spent last 2 days trying to solve this problem! I can confirm - the problem is the last MadMapper update that can’t update correctly a MiniMad! With previous 5.1.6 version everything works like it had to!
  • max-light

by max-light » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:24 pm

Yes! Thanks you so much! I’ve spent last 2 days trying to solve this problem! I can confirm - the problem is the last MadMapper update that can’t update correctly a MiniMad! With previous 5.1.6 version everything works like it had to!
    It worked just 1 time...now it doesn’t work again neither with 5.1.6 🤦‍♂️
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:43 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

It seems like MiniMad Light got broken when MadMapper 5.2.2 released, sorry for the inconvenience!

We're working on fixing that for the next update.

In the meantime, here's a link to MadMapper 5.2.1 that doesn't suffer from that problem:

Mac / Apple Silicon
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5s81pym8dcl8 ... n.dmg?dl=0

Mac / Intel
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/apxori535xhw ... l.dmg?dl=0

Windows
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4pb30qrtwni ... 3.exe?dl=0
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

by Pierre Guilluy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:48 am

In the meantime, MadMapper 5.2.4 released with an official fix for MiniMad Light.