APC 40 modul8 mappings
  • jockety
    activ8 member

APC 40 modul8 mappings

by jockety » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 pm

I've been trying to get my head around how to get the apc 40's buttons to control modul8's buttons properly. Those of you that have an apc 40 have probably noticed that the buttons on apc send a note on and note off with each press and release respectively.
    Forgive me if i'm way behind and someone has a soloution, but i'm pretty sure i've cracked it.
    To do it i needed the help of bomes midi translator. heres how i mapped 1 "clip launch" apc button to "layer 1 on" within modul8:
    Button sends 2 midi messages: " a note on with velocity of 127 then
    a note off with velocity of 127
    these are essentially the same note.
    i have translated the initial first "note on" to ONLY send the note on with vel 127,
    Then when the note off message with velocity 127 is sent to bomes (releasing the button) it triggers a new "preset change" within bomes. Following? lol
    The second preset also receives both midi messages but this time i translated them to send the same midi "note on" BUT with a velocity of 0. Then when bomes recieves the note off signal it triggers bomes back to preset 1.
    + hey presto buttons now toggle modul8s controls. I should have a fully working midi template for bomes in a few days, if anyone would like my template just ask.
    Would be nice to get it hosted somewhere.
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:07 pm

CORRECTION: Bomes seems to have a limitation that it cant handle more than one active preset when working with preset changes triggered by midi.
    Therefore, i've had to map 2 seperate "clip launch" buttons, 1 for note on vel 00, and one for note on vel 127.
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Is there anyone here that has good knowledge of bomes? i've made some really good progress with a bomes template but i've hit some problems with some of the encoders. I'd be particularly looking for anyone that is good with programming rules within bomes.

What i am really exited about is that i've managed to program the lights on the buttons to correspond with modul8. I did this by sending messages from the apc to bomes then back to the apc. I can program lights to be green, red, or orange in either solid or flashing! So i can now see when a layer is on or off on the APC!!
  • camil

by camil » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:18 am

I used a sysex message to make APC40 act as it was in Ableton.It is more easy to program these way. 6 months ago i programmed my APC with Bome. I don't remember much right now but if you explain exactly what is the problem, maybe i can help some way. Here is a link with my template, take a look. http://files.me.com/camyl/rtrbc0
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 am

hi,

i'm trying to translate some of the rotary encoders in the track control to send on a different note.
    Some of the encoders send on the same note as some of the clip launch buttons and modul8 cant tell the difference between a note on/off or a cc message when they are all sending on same note.

i've managed to capture midi from the encoder but i dont know what variable i should enter for the velocity as the velocity in the cc is variable. i can get modul8 to pick up the new translator but the control in modul8 remains static. :(
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:14 am

ok, i've had some good info, in the hexadecimal code by placing "oo" at the end this represents "variable" i can now translate encoders and faders on any given midi cc channel.
  • vj_lion

by vj_lion » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:39 pm

there is also a midi routing tool for the APC40 from vj telematique.
    it ist discussed here:
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4682
  • Jaysonaut

by Jaysonaut » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:03 pm

would u recommend the apc 40? You seem to have some problems with it. Thought about choosing a novation zero sl mkII instead... maybe you have some experience with that??
    thanks and best regards! JJ
  • camil

by camil » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:40 pm

APC 40 can be great.I use ii since february 2010. Right now I have feedback also, with Midi Feedback module from UDART, so everything I change in Modul8 is updated in APC40.The bad is that is not USB powered and you have to use another software to configure it for Modul8. I use Bome midi translator for that.
  • Jaysonaut

by Jaysonaut » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 am

Thx, camil for your reply. You have a feedback on the button`s leds with UDART? That`s great. So the configuration /mapping should be no problem.

Thouht about the APC because there are (corss)faders and the amount of buttons to switch on/off all the live effects is huge. But I wonder if there are enough knobs to control them...? Maybe there is an alternative controller witch can handle that (same budget)?

Best Regards - JJ
  • camil

by camil » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 pm

I think 16 knobs is enough.Before apc40, there was two other choices:VMX VJ from Codanova and OHM64 from Lividinstruments. Finaly my choice was OHM64 but it was a long delivery time and i choose apc40.The device itself feel rock solid and the knobs are smooth and rugged.Different led colors can be triggered by custom midi messages and knobs will update positions for each layer.The bad is that you have to use another software to customize it and can be very tricky but also very powerful.One button can change the whole layout, so the same knob can send midi on different channels and you can map the same knob to different controls in Modul8. OHM64 it's easier to customize and have a user upgradable firmware, which will include OSC messages soon.Codanova do not make VMX VJ anymore but there will be two other controllers from them in the near future.One specially designed for Modul8. http://www.codanova.com/
    I sow some great vj's who use korg nanokontrol , ipad or trigger finger from m-audio, so i think each of those controllers will do the job really well; for me, APC40 is more than enough.
  • OffTheRecordLV

Re: APC 40 modul8 mappings

by OffTheRecordLV » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 pm

If anyone has a template...may I please have a copy? I love modul8 and this apc40 but don't understand Bomes
    ghostofelvis100
    activ8 member

by ghostofelvis100 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Ok, so this is an old thread but maybe someone is still listening...

I'm trying to develop APC40 support for the GENER8 modules. I don't have an APC myself (I really don't need another controller!), so I'm looking for testers.

Info on GENER8: http://collectedconsciousness.net/

Anyone trying to mash together Modul8 with an APC?

:D
  • pritisikka

by pritisikka » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:46 am

Great Information.Thanks for sharing :)