Minimad video playing choppy any ideas why?
    mousejam

Minimad video playing choppy any ideas why?

by mousejam » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:05 am

In order to utilize my Cues performance in Madmapper, using Quicktime I recorded a screenshot video of my Madmapper screen to put back into Madmapper as one quad to be used with a Minimad. This Quicktime screen shot video is a .mov, H.264, 1920 X 1080, FPS 23.63, Data Rate 8.41 Mbits, ACC 44100 Hz, 219.1Mb and plays nicely in Madmapper. When exported to the Minimad with settings at 1080p, 1920X1080, Crop Medias, Adjust movies resolution,CRF 23 and Adaptive Framerate at preferred, the media plays very choppy from the Minimad.

I tried some of the other advance settings in the Minimad export, but they did not seem to help so I used "Mpeg Streamclip" to turn this .mov screen shot clip into an .mp4, I set it at 50% and got an h.264, 1920 X 1080, 24.46 FPS, 62.1 Mb, Data Rate 2.39 Mbits/s and this file plays a lot smoother on the Minimad, but of course the video quality is a bit reduced.

My Madmapper is 3.7.3 and the Minimad SD card is the most current build.

Any idea why this is happening, shouldn't the Minimad take care reducing the original file and make it play smoothly?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :D

Here is a Dropbox link to the original .mov file that plays choppy https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4shpyw6etu5r ... 2.mov?dl=0

Here is a link to a Dropbox file of the Mpeg Streamclip mp4 file that does not play choppy
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6ybpdbukoqwc ... 0.mp4?dl=0
    Attachments
    image.png
    image.png (345 Bytes) Viewed 3958 times
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: Minimad video playing choppy any ideas why?

by Pierre Guilluy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:57 pm

The CRF factor is "quality" setting and indirectly defines the bitrate, depending on the content.
    Increasing CRF decreases the bitrate, making it easier for the miniMAD to playback smoothly.

We'll run some tests using the video files you provided.

In the meantime, please try playing with the CRF factor to see if you can match the smoothness you got by recompressing the video by yourself.