RC 1 thoughts
  • morph
    activ8 member

RC 1 thoughts

by morph » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 am

First thing first. Congrats to the M8 team on delivering a great RC1. The improvements over 2.X are fantastic!! Especially the addition of a scratch/moveable playhead.

I Thought I would put down my thoughts on RC1 as they aren't bugs (mostly) but I think there are a few things worth mentioning.

1. One of my my main reasons I've championed M8 is that the UI is so easy to use live, I have found that without the Orange colouring of the selected layer it has become VERY hard to tell at a glance which layer is selected or which ones are muted. I would say this is the number 1 issue with the new UI. Also not having buttons highlight in Orange when active makes it hard to tell what is active in a performance environment.

2. Fit to stage button, changing this toggle from a Fill to stage/Normalise to a Fit is a real pain if you are using 4:3 material on 16:9 stage. I would suggest having both Fit & Fill buttons

3. A small bug I seem to be having involves midi control of parameters on a Filter Effect not taking effect until that Filter is selected via the mouse.

4. Another bug I seem to be having is that both live text and .png files don't seem to work correctly with Premul, SCR & EXC layer modes. They just come out as solid blocks of white in the shape of the media.

4. Finally I'm not sure how it has operated in the past but how is the centre crosshairs for a non/visible layer activated? Has this changed between versions as I now seem to only get it sporadically.

Thats all for now.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: RC 1 thoughts

by Pierre Guilluy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks for your feedback, we're at work to improve on those aspects in the next build.
  • morph
    activ8 member

by morph » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks Pierre, looking forward to RC 2 :)
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am

Hi there!

1. Aesthetic vs. functional, functional win, orange will be back!

That's the good news for you! (and not just you I think!)
    After a few reports, discussions, and more important, after I tried myself on live performance situations,
    I agree that the graphic user interface is not clear like before without the orange!

The next upcoming RC2 release will include an option to choose between original colors or the new "monochromatic blue"

2. Fit vs. Fill, both win!

This is an excellent suggestion; thank you!
    So brilliant that I already do the changes in the next upcoming RC2.
    Now there is three options ORIGINAL SIZE, FIT STAGE and FILL STAGE.

3. Fx & midi control.

I cannot reproduce this issue. If you already made a more precise report, including a step by step process, could you give me the ticket number or a link to the forum (or anything else)?
    If not, could you do it for me? ...

...and I will fix it!

4.1 Blending vs. alpha channel.
    This issue was already on the 2.9 version and I think the problem is due to the blending mode used, which is maybe simply not compatible with an image including an alpha channel. There is maybe no simple solution, but I will double check.

For the 4.2; same as 3.

Thank you for your report.

Best Regards,
    Boris.
    Boris * garageCube team