Mad laser + Enttec DMX USB Pro + Ariel Beamz laser
  • SkaTronix

Mad laser + Enttec DMX USB Pro + Ariel Beamz laser

by SkaTronix » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:21 pm

Hello,

Can someone advise me on using the MADLASER extension on MM?

I have a ENTTEC DMX USB PRO dongle and ARIEL BEAMZ laser that takes in DMX. Im trying to get this combo to work with no success.
    -On MM preferences i can see "DMX output" as "EnttecPro Out (D2XX 0)"
    -Madmapper "laser output destination" shows nothing.

Im using MAC M1 with USB-C dongle (that has USB A ports) that is connected to the Enttec DMX USB PRO with usb cable..

As i have read, the Madlaser contains ShowNET protocol inside the Madlaser and that would be the most convenient way to go but my setup doesnt have/support it. So is it possible to get this combo to work?

also this kind of gave me a idea that it could work https://www.laserworld.com/en/technical ... d.html#dmx
    2. Use ShowNET for DMX laser control
    ShowNET can easily be used with DMX512 for convenient laser control via conventional lighting desks or lighting software.
    Custom ILDA files can be stored to the ShowNET's internal SD card and can then be triggered via DMX. Even though the ShowNET already comes with a preset of frames and animations, it is possible to completely customize all these contents. This is comparable to using "Gobos", like in conventional lighting, but these "Gobos" in lasers can not only be static, but be animated, colorful and easily customizable.
    ShowNET comes with a free software that allows for creation of custom content, which then can be loaded to the ShowNET's SD card.

Devices with integrated ShowNET as mainboard usually have DMX connectors. External ShowNET interfaces may require an additional DMX adapter to get the DMX signal in and out of the ILDA line. ShowNET PRO interfaces have DMX connectors as standard. Wiring and handling is the same as with other DMX devices.
    As standard, ShowNET is set to DMX-operation (see manual for instructions).

You can use any lighting desk for DMX controlling the ShowNET, as long as it supports DMX - it can be a Grand MA, Avolites desk, any other lighting desk or control software.
    Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Benoit
    ultim8 member

Re: Mad laser + Enttec DMX USB Pro + Ariel Beamz laser

by Benoit » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:52 am

Its not supported, Madlaser supported dac are: showNet, helios usb, etherdream, lasercube, fb4 (through pangolin on windows), moncha dac and avb/dante
    More infos and details on the site page and faq : https://madmapper.com/madlaser/extension
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Mad laser + Enttec DMX USB Pro + Ariel Beamz laser

by franz » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:52 am

ariel beamz are entry level "toy" lasers that take DMX input signals to trigger built-in animations. Eventually there's a mode allowing to shoot a single beam using X/Y DMX signal data.
    MadLaser is a professionnal tool to control professional lasers directly using laser control protocol - namely ILDA or any variant such as ShowNet (ilda over ethernet)- . This is totally different.

To use MadLaser:
    - get a "pro" laser controllable by ilda
    - get a DAC to convert mm signal to ilda. Note that for Shownet lasers you don't need a DAC because it is built in 12 bits, but overall quality is lower than other DACs (such as Etherdrean which is 16bits).