Lasers from 1024 Architecture at Fête des Lumières
  • Lumenarius

Lasers from 1024 Architecture at Fête des Lumières

by Lumenarius » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:49 pm

Absolutely epic. Legendary. Truly space defining and a landmark.

https://1024architecture.net/projects/ecrin

This is some of the coolest applications of lasers our team has seen in a very long time. We thought this was only possible with moving head beam lights.

We would really like to work with lights like these and are curious if anyone knows the models used here?

Maybe something from Kvant? They also kind of look motorized but maybe that's just the angle?

Also, any notes on permitting for these? I can imagine some places are cool with it and others are not.
    Attachments
    TaS4L4EWKX3vdLHflCm29TYm4Lr9R5tiPpbS1fbC.jpg
    TaS4L4EWKX3vdLHflCm29TYm4Lr9R5tiPpbS1fbC.jpg (940.53 KiB) Viewed 377 times
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Lasers from 1024 Architecture at Fête des Lumières

by franz » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:40 am

Hi thanks for your positive comment.
    We used 16x ECS 40W lasers, mounted on a 70 degrees angle towards the sky, connected via Shownet.
    No special permit, we just asked the organisers to make sure they had all the necessary permits, which they didn't ...

As a sidenote, local complotists got crazy on twitter, and thought it was Elon Musk aligning his satellites over the city.
    They even called the local astronomy service to ask for their support.
  • Lumenarius

Re: Lasers from 1024 Architecture at Fête des Lumières

by Lumenarius » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:43 pm

Awesome to hear Franz! I'll say it again. Truly epic and legendary. Like architecture with light.

The circular arrangement played so well into this and the patterns that emerged from when they all rotated were magical. Wish we could have been there!

I do thank you for the exact laser listing. I did find them online but they look hard to source here in the US. So cool that MM can now interface with them though. I'll have to keep an eye out for others like this.

Some of the local populace choosing to get flustered by this is kind of silly. I see it as a testament to human achievement and a bright signal of the amazing visual experiences our technology can afford us; now, and into the future. They should have gone down there to check it out!

Also very funny about the permits, haha. So often this is the case. I could only imagine as long as it was not near an airport it's all good.

Thank you for the information!